You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Tweeds Heads Seagulls will leapfrog Easts Tigers into the Intrust Super Cup top five after an unlikely 78th minute try from hooker Matt King stole a gripping 14-10 victory.

Leading 10-8 in the dying stages, the visiting Tigers looked to have done enough to register their first win at Piggabeen Sports Complex since 2006.

However, the Seagulls had other ideas.

A last tackle grubber by lock Chris Binge was scooped up by King to give his side their second narrow win over the Tigers this season.

In a dramatic finish, Easts then had one final play after the siren following a penalty for a high tackle on Dane Hogan as the hooter sounded.

But the miracle move proved out of reach, with Lagi Setu dropping the ball in pursuit of an offload.

Despite playing from behind for the vast majority of the match, Tweed Heads coach Aaron Zimmerle sensed his team were always on track.

Sometimes you just have a feeling. A lot sides find it difficult to play here the mud makes it that little less enjoyable and I just thought that wed hang around long enough (to get a win), he said.

It was a gritty performance from the Seagulls, in what was a physical match fitting of two sides fighting it out for a top five berth.

We back ourselves in the grind, Zimmerle said.

We had a number of outstanding performers. Aaron Cannings started the game sensationally; unfortunately he did his hamstring and couldnt go back into the game.

Our halves are both playing above their years in terms of how were finishing sets and sustaining pressure.

James Wood was marking an ex-Kiwi international in Junior Sau in the physical contact he matched up with him on almost every occasion.

The Tigers battled gallantly through a number of bumps and bruises, with prop Mitch Garbutt one obvious casualty to an ankle injury in the first half.

They opened the scoring when Maeli Seve found a clear passage to the line on the left wing for a 4-nil lead in the third minute.

The Seagulls hit back through Cory Blair in the corner but Easts extended their lead further thanks to a rampaging run from Mahe Fonua.

Wood grabbed a vital four-pointer just before the break to reduce the deficit to 10-8 at oranges.

An often-fiery second half featured resolute goal line defence from both teams, with the only points coming via Kings killer blow two minutes from fulltime.

Tweed Heads meet Wynnum Manly in next weekends Channel Nine fixture, while Easts return to Langlands Park for another crucial clash against fourth-placed Ipswich on Sunday.

TWEED HEADS SEAGULLS 14 (James Wood, Cory Blair, Matt King tries; Brad Lees goal) def EASTS TIGERS 10 (Mahe Fonua, Maeli Seve tries; Cody Walker goal) at Piggabeen Sports.