QRL Outback Carnival report
The 2014 Outback Muster was held in Blackall on Saturday, June 21.
Temperatures overnight in Blackall were a little cool, but soon warmed up to be a perfect winter’s day. Not only was the weather warm but the action on the field was hot too.
The day started out with the Official Muster welcome by Blackall Tambo Regional Council Mayor Barry Muir. Following the welcome the footy action was underway with the first game between last year’s winners South West against Northern Outback (combined Mid West & Mt Isa).
Northern had all the action against South in the first 15 minutes but couldn’t crack their tough defensive line. South West eventually ran away with the match 42-0.
Up next was the first of two matches of the day for the Under 19’s squads. U19’s were bought back into the muster programme but in a similar format to their U14 & U16 squads with South West and Central West combining to form Southern and Mid West and Mt Isa combining to form Northern. Southern had the pace and game form taking home the points with a 28-8 win over Northern.
Ladies rugby league is a growing sport and continues to gather interest when matches are played. Western Wallabies and Central West Fillies were invited to be part of the Muster programme.
The ladies took to the field and some great plays were made along with some big hits and at half time saw the Fillies lead the Wallabies 18-0. Fillies were first to score after half time and then Wallabies scored twice more before the final siren sounded with a Fillies win 32-4.
It was a great game of footy by the ladies and cheered on well by the crowd. Kailah Rogers had another golden day with two tries and four conversions backed up by Bec Bischel, Brodie Jackson and Charleigh Robinson.
Brigetta Baker is gaining confidence each game she plays in her role at hooker. There were a couple of serious injuries sustained during the match and we wish players the best in their recovery. Thanks to the Wallabies for trekking over to Blackall and the ladies hope to have another game in August.
Central West men finally got to take to the field after the ladies match against Northern. The team had been training hard and with only one change from the original side named in May they got off to a slow start with Northern scoring first before finally settling into their game and putting their game plan in place.
Northern were at a disadvantage, having lost a couple of players due to injury but that didn’t dampen their spirit to keep playing on even with Central West going on a try scoring feast and running out winners 42-6.
Northern won the battle of the second Under 19 game against Southern with a final score of 22-4.
The last match of the day saw the battle of the heavyweights with both South West and Central West going into the match having won their games against Northern. This match would determine who would be champions for 2014 and the game certainly lived up to expectations. Early blows were traded and hard defence with the final score not reflecting the quality of the game but South West won with a score of 44-10 over Central West.
Following rugby league action on the paddock it was off to the Presentation Dinner at the Blackall Cultural Hall (thanks to those who decorated the hall so beautifully). The following awards were presented:
- A Grade Northern Outback v South West Man of the Match – Nathan Adcock (South West)
- U19 Southern v Northern Man of the Match – Cody Steedman (Southern)
- A Grade Central West v Northern Outback Man of the Match – Cameron Jackson (Central West)
- U19 Northern v Southern Man of the Match – Alan Aitkens (Northern)
- A Grade Central West v South West Man of the Match – Michael Purcell (South West)
- U19 Player of the Carnival – Cody Steedman (Southern)
- A Grade Player of the Carnival – Michael Purcell (South West)
- U19 Winners (count back 32 points 7 tries) – Southern
- A Grade Winners – South West
A carnival of this size is not possible without a lot of support and we give our sincere thanks to:
- Blackall Senior Rugby League
- Blackall Junior Rugby League
- Blackall Tambo Regional Council
- Dwayne Kangan
- Match Officials – Eric Waldron, Jeff Saunders, Malcolm Wright, Geoff Bashford, Guy Elliott, Daniel Burton, Aaron Williams, Gavin Baskett and Dylan Dolinski
- Coolibah Motel, Blackall Caravan Park, Acacia Motor Inn, Blackall Motel, The Living Arts Centre, Barcoo Hotel, Blackall Memorial & Sports Club and Union Hotel
- The Blackall Community
- Fiona & Mark Danman – Maroon Zone TV
- Central West Fillies
- Western Wallabies
- U9 juniors
- Field staff – ball boys, cleaners, canteen and bar staff
- NRL Officers Rod Dahl & Stephen Hamilton