Queensland Rugby League’s digital platforms are currently experiencing extraordinary growth as fans engage with all levels of the game in record numbers.
With social media, website and video numbers soaring like a Johnathan Thurston bomb, the QRL continues to commit more time and resources to its digital properties.
Fans, game-wide participants and corporate partners stand to be the big winners as the QRL prepare for the 2017 season.
Last season, QRL passed one million social media followers and the XXXX Queensland Maroons continue to lay claim to having the largest Facebook audience of all clubs and states in the National Rugby League.
The power of the Maroons brand is perhaps best portrayed by a single post that went viral in 2016.
The Maroons Facebook post, which featured a young boy running the length of the field in a Legends of League match, reached 51.7 million people with 23.1 million video views.
Video plays on all platforms reached 37 million in 2016, another new record.
Our digital team working out of the game’s new Rugby League Central Queensland office is now better equipped than ever before to deliver great outcomes in this growing space.
As part of the QRL’s Commercial unit, the Digital team now forms a vital part of the business.
Not only does it support the QRL's internal departments, but the digital team and platforms play a key role in the QRL’s wider strategic target of ensuring rugby league is the most entertaining, most engaging and most respected sport.
And while, we’re not a state that likes to brag about our success, we did notice that our numbers leave the Blues’ a distant second.
2016 QRL Digital Results:
- Surpass 1 million social media followers and 25 per cent growth
- Total audience size – 1,204,469
- Total audience size - 974,742
- Audience growth - 115,742 (+13%)
- Post reach - 231,906,884 (+237%)
- Engaged users - 14,787,069 (+180%)
- Post impressions - 453,935,240 (+128%)
- Engagements - 1,192,432
- Launched Intrust Super Cup – grew to 8996 followers
- XXXX QLD Maroons grew 173% to 137,000 followers
- Engagements - 295,018 (+318%)
- Tweet Impressions - 7,412,118 (0%)
- XXXX QLD Maroons grew to 76,100 followers (+58%)
- Page Impressions - 7,252,588 (+10%)
- Unique Browsers - 1,687,418 (+16%)
- QRL Live in its first year drove 1,970,452 page impressions
- Video plays – 37,066,780 (up 8113%)