INTRUST SUPER CUP
Gold Coast Round 9 preview
Preview of Round 9 of the Rugby League Gold Coast A Grade Competition.
Tugun Seahawks V Tweed Heads Seagulls
The battle for second place on the ladder will see the Tugun Seahawks host the Tweed Heads Seagulls. Trailing hot behind the Seahawks, the Tweed Heads Seagulls will be eager for a win to secure the second ladder position. The Seahawks will need to dig deep this week as the Seagulls have been gearing up for another tough match after falling short last week against the top of the ladder, Burleigh Bears. Although the Seahawks confidently won against the Southport Tigers 34-8 last weekend, there has been no holding back to ensure the team is ready to compete and challenge the physical Tweed side. As Daniel Webb scores a double and tries spread amongst the pack, the Seahawks have been working on establishing and executing try-scoring plays.
Burleigh Bears V Southport Tigers
Round 9 and undefeated, the Burleigh Bears are as strong as the Southport Tigers can anticipate in this week’s clash. Securing another win against the Tweed Heads Seagulls, the Bears will be aiming to continue their winning streak. Focusing on combinations amongst the squad, the Bears struggle to maintain consistency with players moving within divisions. Young recruit Te McDonald shone in last weekend’s match after contributing four tries to the 26-12 win against the Tweed Heads Seagulls. Although unable to defeat the Tugun Seahawks, the Southport Tigers remain positive they can challenge the top of the ladder. “We (Tigers) are our worst enemy”, said coach Tim Cannard of the team’s performance to date. As training is a bit interrupted the Tigers have aimed to rebuild confidence and focus on their game plan and not the opposition.
Ormeau Shearers V Currumbin Eagles
As both teams struggle to find their footing in the 2017 season, up north the fighting Ormeau Shearers will play host to the unpredictable Currumbin Eagles. The Eagles have won a couple matches this season and are ahead of the Shearers by four points on the ladder. Missing a weekend of football due to wet weather, both teams will be heading into this week with minimal preparations. The determination from the Shearers will be an advantage as the side has a hard-hitting middle pack that has challenged some of the top sides within the competition. The Eagles will need to focus on ensuring their game plan is strong and basic sets are maintained.
Bilambil Jets V Runaway Bay Seagulls
Down south the Bilambil Jets will take on the Runaway Bay Seagulls for a fight to stay within the top four. Just behind the Seagulls, the Jets will be hungry to catch up and are up for the challenge. The Runaway Bay Seagulls will need to suit up for a tough match as the Jets have a record of challenging top teams playing at home and in such crucial conditions. The Runaway Bay Seagulls will need to ensure they bring their mental toughness and grit as their season has been inconsistent with wins and losses. As for the Jets, they have won a couple matches this season including their clash with one of the top teams, the Tweed Heads Seagulls.
Round 9 Teams List
Tugun Seahawks v Tweed Heads Seagulls at Boyd Street, Sunday, June 18 – 2pm
Coach: Martin Griese
1. Corey Morris 2. Adam Barnes 3. Kevin Nilan 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Sav Rapana 6. Grayson Te Kiri 7. Drumayne Dayberg-Muir 8. Bryce Thomas 9. Chris Thomas 10. Sam Eley 11. Dean Murphy 13. Shane Gray 14. Daniel Webb 15. Travis Barry 16. Tu Whakatihi 17. Timi Matenga
Coach: Darryl Fisher
1.Jayden Baker 2. David Green 3. Kurtis McDonald 4. Regan Muir 5. David Sheridan 6. Kobi Annand 7. Ben Jackson 8. Ezra Howe 9. Mackensie Reid 10. Josh Harvey 11. Dane Clarke 12. Kirk Murphy 13. Shaun Hinton 14. Angus Dorante 15. Mike Grey 16. Diaz Sharrock 17. Michael McKinnon 18. Jordan Aiono 19. Jarrod Morfett
Burleigh Bears v Southport Tigers at Pizzey Park, Sunday, June 18 – 2pm
Coach: Stuart Wilkins
1. Jack Rogers 2. Josh Bukowski 3. Dane Fitzjohn 4. Nathan Schwass 5. Alexander Van Den Dop 6. Marino Allen 7. David Court 8. Ben Carberry 9. Shaw Needham 10. Denzal Ngati 11. Dylan Mathers 12. Luke Alker 13. Steve Holland 14. Jake Alker 15. Teancum Samaseia 16. Ryan Martin 17. Ezra Howe 18. Jason Bradfield 19. Harry Hughes
Coach: Tim Cannard
1. Jordan Stewart 2. Jayden Watene 3. Joe Ramsden 4. Carlo Alimboyong 5. Classie Oti 6. Israel Oti 7. Kane Rudolph 8. Te-Reihana Peters 9. Damian Dumas 10. Lachlan Douglas 11. Justin McKenna 12. Adam Kelly 13. Mick Esdale 14. Zoram Watene 15. Jake Landers 17. Dylan Lagerstrom 19. Tahu-Potiki Tawhiwhirangi 20. Cody Evans
Bilambil Jets v Runaway Bay Seagulls at Bilambil Sports, Sunday, June 18 – 2pm
Coach: Craig Rowles
1. Luke Harvey 2. Josh Quinn 3. Brodie Cook 4. Ben Bullock 6. Tom Dawney 7. Cal Lynn 8. Mitch Spackman (c) 9. Tom Raftery 10. Wade Hall 11. Harrison Burling 12. Koen Sleba 13. Jackson Springer 14. Tom Plater 15. Chris Rigney 17. Brendan Walsh
Runaway Bay Seagulls
Coach: Clinton Toopi
1. John Mackin 2. Walter Lauenstein 3. Blake Midson 4. Jake Powell 5. Harry Hill 6. James Poland 7. Falani Arkell 8. Benjamin Tuala 9. Henry Chan-Ting 10. Jordan McLaughlin 11. Andrew Vela 12. Jackson O’Leary 13. Ethan Gallop 14. Kingi Akauola 15. Santana Latu 16. Ryan Lamont 17. Ian Fuaivaa
Ormeau Shearers v Currumbin Eagles at Brien Harris Oval, Sunday, June 18 – 2pm
Coach: Jeremy Golf
1. Nathan Farragher 2. Israel Taligatus 3. Mat Woods 4. Taani Uhila 5. Kaya Gray-Mackay 6. Blake Brown 7. Ben Muller 8. Luke Monk 9. Dallas Chase 10. Mohi Kendrick 11. Trent Shield 12. Jordan Haim 13. Shane Blow 15. Lazeryth Sua 16. Alfred Marsters 17. Robert Marsters
Coach: Ryan Gundry
1. Jackson Galwey 2. Lachie Smith 3. Kenny Allison (c) 4. Miki Pohio 5. Harley Wood 6. Brayden Evan 7. Kyle Ramage 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Kelly Benson 10. Kieran Tarrant 11. Jayde Batchelor 12. Scott Avery 13. Liam Donnelly 14. Nathan Ingram 15. Cooper Hennessey 16. Ethan Williams 17. Jacob Roby