A shortened round will still provide plenty of action of Intrust Super Cup fans this weekend.
Norths Devils v Mackay Cutters
Bishop Park on Saturday, May 5
Live Channel 9 QLD broadcast from 1pm
Head-to-Head: Norths 12 Mackay 9
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #DEVILSvMC
- The high-flying Norths Devils will look to continue their winning ways in Saturday’s Round 9 clash at Bishop Park.
- Norths sit in second place on the Intrust Super Cup ladder, with last weekend’s closely-fought 18-16 victory over Easts their sixth of the season.
- Mackay is struggling for momentum, but they did soundly beat the Devils 52-4 to record their biggest win in the corresponding game at Bishop Park last year.
- That win over Norths was their biggest Cup win and most points for scored.
- Namila Davuiis the only current player to have played Cup before 2003 – he debuted with Central in 2000.
- Devils half Todd Murphy now has exactly 500 Cup points from 87 games overall.
- It is shaping up to be a massive day at Bishop Park with the Devils’ Under 18 team drawn to play Souths Logan in the Mal Meninga Cup final following the Intrust Super Cup clash.
Townsville Blackhawks v Burleigh Bears
Jack Manski Oval on Saturday, May 5 – 5pm
Head-to-Head: Burleigh 3 Townsville 2 Drawn 1
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #TSVBvBEARS
- Two of the competition’s in-form teams meet in Townsville in what is shaping up to be one of the best match ups in Round 9.
- Burleigh is currently holding down top spot on the ladder, while the Blackhawks have rocketed into third after a string of wins.
- The Bears have three wins and a draw against Townsville in their last 4 clashes – all three wins were by a converted try or less.
- Jim Lenihan’s Bears have won their past two games against Townsville at Jack Manski Oval after their record 78-6 loss there in their first clash.
- Centre Levi Dodd scored two tries last weekend for the Blackhawks, who powered over the top of Souths Logan in an impressive performance.
Sunshine Coast Falcons v CQ Capras
Sunshine Coast Stadium on Sunday, May 6 – 12noon
Head-to-Head: Sunshine Coast 10 Central 8 Drawn 1
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #SCFvCQC
- Sunday’s early game will see both teams aiming to bounce back from Round 8 games.
- The Falcons suffered another close loss last weekend, while the Capras let their first half lead slip in their loss to Wynnum Manly.
- The Sunshine Coast have won the past six games between these two sides; all by 12 points or more.
- Sunshine Coast have lost three of their past four home games – the last two by two points or less.
- Central have lost their last 7 away games
- Named as co-captain this week, CQ Capras forward Oliver Percy (pictured above) will play his 50th Cup game on Sunday afternoon. He previously played for Tweed Heads.
>>> QRL Media’s Living League crew will be out at Sunshine Coast Stadium this weekend – before sure to have your opinions ready for HearSay. See last week’s video below:
HearSay: Who should come into the Maroons forward pack?
Souths Logan Magpies v Easts Tigers
Davies Park on Sunday, May 6 – 3pm
Head-to-Head: Easts 30 Souths Logan 13
Twitter: #intrustsupercup # SLMvTIGES
- Both sides are coming into this game with Round 8 losses – the Tigers in a close one against Norths, while the Magpies were outplayed by Townsville in their 38-14 defeat.
- Easts will be aiming to continue their winning away run over the Magpies at their home of Davies Park, having claimed five of the past six games played there.
- However, the Magpies are in good form at home this season and have won four of their past five games played at the West End ground.
- There are a number of stars set to return for Easts this weekend, with Scott Drinkwater and Billy Walters providing a boost to the line-up.
- The Tigers have not lost consecutive away games since 2016 and will aim to keep it that way on Sunday. They lost their last away game back in Round 7, going down to a resurgent Tweed Heads Seagulls.
Ipswich Jets - bye
Northern Pride - bye
PNG Hunters - bye
Redcliffe Dolphins - bye
Tweed Heads Seagulls - bye
Wynnum Manly Seagulls - bye
*Statistics by Brad Tallon
NOTE: The livestreams linked in this preview are not official QRL productions.