With representative players missing from both sides, young guns will be on display for Runaway Bay and Burleigh when they face off in Round 10 of the Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade competition.
Defending champions Runaway Bay have been hit with the injury bug in 2019, currently sitting fourth with four wins and four losses.
Bay have gone down narrowly in their last two games - 20-18 to Tugun last week and 30-22 to Southport in Round 8 – and on both occasions a lack of experience was costly.
Their injury concerns will be compounded by the loss of Jenan Wedderburn-Parish and Jack Mackin, both of whom will be representing South East Queensland in the 2019 QRL State A Grade Men’s and Women’s Championship Carnival being held at Southport this weekend.
While Bay coach Nick Gleeson admitted losing his two rep stars will have an impact, he is confident he has enough depth to be competitive with the competition leaders.
“We have a side that can compete, we just need to be patient,” he said.
“We are only losing by a small margin and the boys are having a go – our depth is being tested - we need to start well and compete well throughout that 25-60 minute period.”
The Burleigh Bears, meanwhile, will be without their halfback Matt Egan, who will also be on SEQ representative duties.
Egan has been the conductor of Burleigh’s unbeaten run to start the season and his vacancy from the team will no doubt make the Bears a different side on Sunday.
“He is integral to our structure and a big voice in the team – it’s a massive loss,” Bears coach Matt Foster said.
“Runaway Bay play a very physical game. They have not lost at home and it is certainly a tough place to go to," Foster said.
“The game will certainly test the physicality of our ruck area - Runaway Bay are always a good challenge.”
The Runaway Bay Seagulls host the Burleigh Bears this Sunday afternoon from 2pm in the QTOP A Grade match of the round. The game will be live streamed on the RLGC Facebook page.
Other Round 10 fixtures include Currumbin hosting Ormeau on Saturday and Southport travelling to Bilambil on Sunday. Tugun has the bye.
* Main image provided by the Gold Coast Bulletin
Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade Round 10 team lists
Currumbin Eagles vs Ormeau Shearers – Saturday June 1 at Galleon Way, 4pm
1. Phil Ramage 2. Lachie Smith 3. Ken Allison 4. Ben Willetts 5. Josh Walker 6. Jake Gleeson 7. Bayley Gill 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Kurtis Dark 10. Pele Peletelese 11. Liam Donnelly 12. Matt Munckton 13. Shane Gillham 14. Luke Barry 15. Liam Thompson 16. Harry Wecker
Coach: Ryan Gundry
1. Tye Barry 2. Jayden Alaiasa-Heu 3. Jay Melrose 4. Liam Hori-Clark 5. Anthony Setu 6. Leighmon Hohaia Katene 7. Grayson Te Kiri 8. Jesse Malcolm 9. Blake Midson 10. Timothy Wolens 11. Matthew Parata 12. Martin Burkhardt 13. Chase Kereama-Williams 14. Anthony Gray 15. Diaz Sharrock 16. Shay Stevens
Coach: Julius Kuresa
Runaway Bay Seagulls vs Burleigh Bears – Sunday June 2 at Bycroft Oval, 2pm
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. Queille Murray 2. Daniel Kelly 3. Ben Fritz 4. Dylan Pelo 5. Jake Powell 6. James Poland 7. Steven Rooney 8. Jack Doran 9. Daniel Hayes 10. Taniela Palavi 11. Darcy Sims 12. Taylor Daniels 13. Tane-James Rapira 14. Brodie Hannon 15. Mathew Canning 16. Steven Tolo 17. Tamanui Nicholas
Coach: Nick Gleeson
1. Shallin Fuller 2. Kea Pere 3. Regan Muir Ogle 4. Josh Berkers 5. Reece Tapine 6. George House 7. Connor Toia 8. Oliver Percy 9. Jordan Scott 10. Tyler Sparkes 11. Matt Robinson 12. Darius Farmer 13. Ben Valeni 14. Bailey Court 15. Brett Stratton 16. Tyler Szepanowski 17. Lochlyn Sheldon
Coach: Matt Foster
Bilambil Jets v Southport Tigers – Sunday June 2 at Bilambil Sports, 2pm
1. Luke Jaeger 2. Sam Beazley 3. Max Campion 4. Jamie Wullf 5. Elijah Arnold 6. Conrad Green 7. Zeke Garrett 8. Mitch Spackman 9. Tom Rowles 10. Will McCullough 11. Drew McCullough 12. Bailey Faull 13. Jack Welsh 14. PJ Tevaga 15. Tom Raftery 16. Ryan Taylor 17. Brendon Welsh
Coach: Kevin Campion
1. Barry Rutley 2. Zoram Watene 3. Naz Monsall 4. Carlo Alimboyong 5. Gerard Ah-Nau 6. Kobi Annand 7. Kane Rudolph 8. Jarrod Morfett 9. Jacob Pottinger 10. Nathan Young 11. Tu Whakathi-Paikea 12. Zac Walsh 13. Damian Mills 14. Judaea Monsall 15. Lachlan Douglas
Coach: Steve Dowd
Bye – Tugun
|4||Runaway Bay Seagulls||27||19|