Week 2 of Round 19 in the Intrust Super Cup will kick off this weekend, with four matches being played.
This weekend, the round will kick off when Easts Tigers host Wynnum Manly Seagulls on Saturday, while Burleigh Bears will play the Redcliffe Dolphins in the 9Gem TV game on Sunday.
Below are the ‘Stats that Matter’ for each match up in Round 19 Week 2 – thanks to Brad Tallon.
Match: Tigers v WM Seagulls
Round 19 -
Venue: Langlands Park
Easts Tigers v Wynnum Manly Seagulls
Langlands Park on Saturday, August 3 - 3pm
Head-to-Head: Easts 24 Wynnum 23 drawn 1
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #TIGESvWYN
Tipping % - via QRL Tipping: Tigers 29 % Wynnum Manly 71%
Livestream: Tiger TV
- Tigers flyer Jarrod McInally scored an important try in his side’s 38-38 draw against the Hunters in Wabag and now has 93 Cup tries, only two short of team mate Shane Neumann on 95 – equal ninth of all time in the competition with Shane Perry.
- The draw last week by Easts means the side have one win and a draw in their past four games.
- They will be looking to claim another win when they come up against the Seagulls who have won three of their past four matches.
- In their favour, the Tigers have won the past two and three of the past four games against Wynnum Manly at Langlands Park.
- However, Easts have lost three of their past four games at home – while Wynnum have won three of their past four away games.
- This will be the 50th Cup game for Seagulls forward Max Elliott who has been named on the bench for this game. Elliott has played all his games so far at the club.
- The Tigers have named Melbourne Storm contracted quartet Solomone Kata, Max King, Tom Eisenhuth and Aaron Pene to return for this game.
- Tom Dearden will make his return to the field this weekend, named at halfback for the Seagulls.
Match: Blackhawks v Hunters
Round 19 -
Venue: Jack Manski Oval
Townsville Blackhawks v PNG Hunters
Jack Manski Oval on Saturday, August 3 – 4.05pm
Head-to-Head: PNG 6 Townsville 3
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #TSVBvPNG
Tipping % - via QRL Tipping: Townsville 97% PNG 3%
- The PNG Hunters will be aiming to turn around the result from their last meeting against the Blackhawks where Townsville scored a 24-14 win in Port Moresby.
- In their favour, each side has won two games each at Jack Manski Oval.
- However, Townsville are in good form and have won their past six games and have also won their past four, and six of their past seven games at home.
- The Hunters have won one game and secured a draw (last round against the Tigers) from their past seven games – and have also lost their past four, and eight of their past nine away games.
- Veteran Hunter Adex Wera has been named to return to the team this week and will move to 112 games for the Hunters, passing Wartovo Puara for most games for the club.
- Other ins for the visiting side include Bland Abavu back into the squad as well as Keven Appo, Gairo Kapana and the explosive Junior Rau.
- This will also be the 50th game for Townsville for half Kyle Laybutt and his 64th overall having previously played for Mackay.
- Townsville back Zac Santo has been named to make an early return from a rare bone infection and will start on the wing, while Shaun Nona and Cade Maloney are also set to make a return.
Match: Falcons v Capras
Round 19 -
Venue: Sunshine Coast Stadium
Sunshine Coast Falcons v CQ Capras
Sunshine Coast Stadium on Saturday, August 3 – 5pm
Head-to-Head: Sunshine Coast 12 Central 9 Drawn 1
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #SCFvCQC
Tipping % - via QRL Tipping: Sunshine Coast 98% Capras 2%
- Sunshine Coast blazed their way to a big 52-6 over the Capras at Browne Park when the teams first met in Round 7 this year.
- The in-form Falcons have won eight of their past nine games between these two sides, including the last four at home by an average of 30 points.
- The 2019 minor premiership appears to be a formality for the Falcons, who have won 17 of their last 18 games, including seven of their past eight home games.
- This will the 50th Cup game for Central halfback Jack Madden, one of the Capras’ best each week.
- Sunshine Coast forward Chris Lewis will also notch a half century of games for the Falcons.
- Falcon Todd Murphy requires four more points to bring up 800 in the Cup and become the 10th player to reach this figure.
- Jon Reuben is now equal with Ryley Jacks for most tries in a season for the Falcons on 19.
Match: Bears v Dolphins
Round 19 -
Venue: Pizzey Park
Burleigh Bears v Redcliffe Dolphins
Pizzey Park on Sunday, August 4 – 1.10pm *(live on 9Gem)
Head-to-Head: Redcliffe 28 Burleigh 23 Drawn 1
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #BEARSvPHINS
Tipping % - via QRL Tipping: Bears 90% Phins 10%
- The 2016 Intrust Super Cup grand final rivals go head to head in an explosive Round 19 match up.
- Burleigh's loss in Country Week broke a run of five wins, while Redcliffe’s run of four-straight wins also came to an end that weekend.
- Although Burleigh won in 2018, Redcliffe have won the previous six games between these two sides at Pizzey Park.
- Burleigh requires one more try to bring up 100 for the season; Redcliffe have 58. Leaders Sunshine Coast have 120.
- For Redcliffe’s Adam Mogg, this will be his 117th Cup game as coach, passing Aaron Zimmerle into 13th for most games coached.
- Bears playmaker Jamal Fogarty requires two more goals to bring up 250 for the Gold Coast club.
*Statistics by Brad Tallon
**NOTE: The livestreams linked in this preview are not official QRL productions unless stated