Todd Greenberg says there is no time frame around the Integrity Unit handing down a judgement on David Fifita's case as he insists getting it "right" rather than done quickly is the key criteria.
More than a week ago, Fifita provided the NRL Integrity Unit with his version of what took place outside a Bali nightclub earlier this month.
The incident led to a security guard alleging to police that he was struck by Fifita, only to later withdraw the complaint and sign a "peace deal" with the 19-year-old which led to his release after three nights in a Bali cell.
Brisbane CEO Paul White later confirmed the club had not paid any money to secure Fifita's release while adding any compensation paid was agreed to by Fifita's legal representative and the player himself.
Greenberg toured Sunshine Coast Stadium on Monday, where next year's Holden Women's State of Origin clash between NSW and Queensland will be held, where he was quizzed by reporters on the perceived delay over the NRL Integrity Unit releasing its verdict.
"While I know most people want us to go quickly and most people want an answer immediately I have long maintained that there are no prizes for getting it done quick. The only thing is to get it right … if that takes an extra couple of weeks so be it," the NRL CEO said.
"We are in international jurisdiction and we have got to have interviews with people overseas and different agencies so I want to make sure we get it right so we will take as long as it takes."
Greenberg said there had been no delays due to any issues surrounding translators and laughed off suggestions the NRL was trying to sweep under the carpet any aspect of Fifiita's case.
"It is about getting to the bottom of the information and making sure we speak to the appropriate people to make sure that when we land on a decision, whatever that decision might be, that we have all the information in front of us," he said.
Greenberg was also asked whether next year NRL teams that lose in extra time could get an extra point in a revamped system.
"There was a lot of talk about it last week at the [NRL] coaches’ meeting and the week before that at the competition committee meeting. At the moment it is simply an idea … a proposal. Ultimately the Commission will talk about it at the end of next week when they meet," he said.
Greenberg said he was not sure if teams should get one point for an extra-time loss but said "they certainly could" under the proposal.
He said there had been no discussion about reverting to the former model where both teams shared one competition point at the end of an 80-minute draw.
"I have been a strong proponent of supporting the concept of golden point and certainly the numbers speak for themselves," he said.
"When you get to the end of 80 minutes our ratings numbers with both broadcast partners go through the roof. We understand we are in the entertainment business and we are going to continue to keep finding ways to innovate the game to make sure fans are fully engaged with us."