You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
The Southport Tigers have qualified for the Bycroft Cup grand final in both first grade and reserve grade in what was a tremendous day for the club at Owen Park on Sunday.

The reserve grade side got the job done first by defeating the minor premiers Burleigh 14-6, then the first grade boys notched a tough 36-20 win over Tugun in the main event.

It was a great occasion for the A grade boys but the reserve grade winning before us just spurred the boys on which was great because were a club first and foremost, Tigers coach Steve Dowd said.

Its not just about this team its about first grade, reserve grade and 19s. Its unfortunate that 19s bowed out yesterday but to have reserve grade and first grade through the grand final is a super effort for the club.

Coming into Sundays qualifying final the Tugun Seahawks had plenty of momentum.

Last week they racked up a big score against the Bilambil Jets and were thoroughly impressive in the process.

But Southport, with the benefit of having last weekend off, was ready for them and what followed was a highly competitive and entertaining game of football.

The lead changed on six different occasions but a late surge from the Tigers ultimately proved the difference and got Southport a grand final appearance.

The final 25 minutes of the game saw two massive momentum swings, the first going towards Tugun when prop Sam Rowlings crashed over in the 55th minute.

In an inspired run Rowlings charged through the first line of defence, then ran over the top of the fullback bringing the Seahawks to within two points of Tigers.

The kick off by Southport immediately following the try went out on the full and the Seahawks struck again when Keanu TeKiri ran from one side of the field to the other before linking with Dylan Nash who muscled his way into the corner to give Tugun the lead.

At that point it felt like the Seahawks were on a roll and were about to march on towards a grand final appearance, but this Southport side didnt finish the regular season on top for no reason.

The Tigers forced a Tugun error with some stiff defence and hurled up a giant bomb in the 60th minute.

There were plenty of players around but only Southport winger Mick Davis was ever going to come down with it.

He lept high above the pack and brought it down for his second try of the day, giving Southport the lead again in the process.

The Tigers never let go of the lead again after that with tries to Latu Heleta and a length of the field effort from Hirini Robin saw the Tigers stretch the final margin out to 16.

Dowd said his sides decision making, especially the 60th minute bomb, was the reason they were able to lift in the final stages.

We really toughed it out and to beat Tugun youve got to be able to go with them, Dowd said.

They are a very good football side. Theyre tough and led well by Sammy Rowlings and Robert Apanui.

From our point of view we stuck with them and our discipline was very good. I was proud of that.

In more good news for Southport their hooker Chris Thomas brought up his 100th game for the club.

Thomas is a consistently strong performer for the club and was again among the best on the field on Sunday.

Other stand outs for the Tigers included Tu Whakatihi, Mick Davis and halves pairing Drumayne Dayberg-Muir and Marty Mitchell.

For Tugun they will now return home to Boyd Street to take on Bilambil in next Sundays preliminary final.

Seahawks coach Selwyn Apanui was disappointed with his sides performance especially after they were so good a week ago.

We were our own worst enemy today, he said.

We didnt back up what we did last week. We didnt earn the right to play the footy we were trying to play and unfortunately it didnt unfold the way we wanted it to which is standard when you dont want to play down the middle of the field.

Guys last week were fighting for jumpers and this week I think they were expecting to get jumpers and it just didnt pan out the way we wanted.

Credit to Southport though, they played better footy. They earned the right, they got out of their half well and deserved to get the win.

In addition to Southports wins in first grade and reserve grade the Burleigh Bears advanced to the under 19s grand final with a 48-6 win over Tugun.