You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
(1991) It took just nine minutes for Johnny Langs Tigers to snuff out any aspirations Wests held of breaking a 15-year premiership drought, and 45 seconds to stamp their authority on the 1991 grand final at Lang Park. The biggest post-Broncos crowd (to this day) of over 17,000 poured into headquarters and witnessed minor premiers Easts comprehensively stamp a dominant season over underdogs and crowd favourites Wests. And in just the fourth tackle, lock forward Bruce Crosby silenced the vocal Panthers crowd when he scooted 40 metres down the western sideline from dummy half, before sending winger Andrew McGown into the clear, who in turn sent five-eighth Steve Dowden over for a spectacular try. And just eight minutes later, half Andrew Neave regathered his own short grubber kick to score the simplest of tries next to the posts. A spectacular 55-metre field goal by fullback Ken Jackson then sent the Easts fans into raptures, before winger Kurt Wrigley finished off a backline move from a scrum, leaving Easts ahead 21-0. A Paul Weaver try near halftime gave the Panthers a slim hope of clawing back into the match, but Wrigleys second try soon after the break cemented a triumphant Tigers 25-10 victory for rugged workhorse skipper Ian Stains.

1983 Mercurial 28-year-old five-eighth Wayne Lindenberg made the difference in the 1983 decider when he set up both tries in the Tigers 14-6 triumph over Redcliffe, after being lured out of retirement mid-season by coach John Lang. A packed Lang Park witnessed one of the toughest contests seen in years, as both monster packs of forwards pummelled each other mercilessly. A Shane McNally penalty goal is all either side could muster in the first half, leaving Easts ahead 2-0 at the break. The first 40 minutes lacked any attacking flair by either side, but saw the Dolphins controversially denied a try to Steve Cherry off a spilt Shane Bernardin bomb, among a number of near chances. Fullback Gavin Payne was also denied an Easts try by referee Eddie Ward. The Tigers defence incredibly held Redcliffe out time and again after the break, in a spectacular half of football. It took until the 66th minute for the Tigers to crack the Dolphins defence, when Lindenberg sliced through on the Frank Burke side of the ground. He then sent speedy centre Brett Tengdahl on a 50m sprint to the line. Ten minutes later, he was at it again, when he sent winger Brad Backer into open space for a 50m gallop to score. Steve Cherry eventually crossed near fulltime, but Easts had done enough to take their first crown in five years, and relegate the Dolphins to bridesmaids yet again.

1978 Easts sealed their second premiership in as many years, when pivot Greg Holben capped off a sensational 60m drive with a try in the dying minutes, to snatch a mind-blowing 14-10 win for Easts over Valleys. But it was lock Alan Currie with 80 minutes of crashing runs and bruising tackles who stole the show. 35,000 Lang Park patrons were kept on their feet roaring for the entire match, as the fortunes of both the Tigers and Valleys fluctuated in spectacular end-to-end football. Half Wayne Lindenberg, who needed flu shots to take the field, landed an early penalty goal, before Diehards winger Mick Neill equalised soon after. Lindenberg then ignited the re-known Tigers attack, with a 60m break, before a quick passing movement involving he, Currie and Holben sent powerhouse prop Rod Morris flying over for the first try. The Diehards struck back soon after when centre Vic Wieland sent Neill over to level the scores at 5-all. Easts then hit back after the break when Jeff McDonald landed a penalty for a 7-5 lead. Valleys centre Vic Wieland then finished off a Gerry Fitzpatrick break to give the Diehards an 8-7 lead. An exchange of penalty goals left the Diehards 10-9 leaders for an eternity. Valleys, who took a rare underdog tag into the final, appeared to have the game won, until Holbens try.

1977 Easts, without a win after six rounds and last after 10 rounds, completed a fairytale season when they won 13 or their last 14 matches, to eventually hold out a strong Redcliffe team 17-13 in the grand final at Lang Park. The game had everything to make it a thriller - from crowd lifting attack to shuddering, whole-hearted front-on tackling and a sensational goal contest. The game was also watched by probably the best grand final crowd in years, estimated at over 37,000. Captain-coach Des Morris and lightning-quick half Wayne Lindenberg were the difference between the two sides, with Lindenbergs try after halftime the turning point. Winger John Callus and Steve Farquhar both scored first half tries, with Dolphins hardman Forrester Grayson crashing through three tackles to score for Redcliffe. The Tigers held a narrow 12-7 lead at halftime, before Lindenbergs spectacular 30-metre dummy half scoot to score for a 15-7 lead. All points after that were penalty goals, with legendary Dolphins fullback Bunny Pearce finishing with five sensational goals. Only the third grade loss to Wests cast a shadow over a near-perfect season, with the Tigers winning A-grade, reserve grade and under-21 premierships.

1972 The most famous of all Brisbane grand finals, 1972 will always be remembered for Easts lock Jeff Fyfe landing an innocuous field goal in the last minute of play, sealing a 16-15 grand final win over Valleys. It also broke a 22-year premiership drought for the Tigers, and stamped them as one of the teams to watch in the 70s, Brisbanes halcyon days. Although Fyfes premiership-winning field goal was explicitly against coach Ted Verrenkamps instructions, it was skipper Des Morris who was the outstanding player, winning two man-of-the-match awards (a $100 George Symons suit and a $60 radio). The Diehards scored three tries to two overall, but fullback Howard Fullartons four crucial goals always kept Easts in touch. The crowd was kept at fever-pitch for the full 80 minutes, as the match teetered on a knife-edge, with not a sole leaving the ground until that famous moment. Lock Jeff Gill, giant prop Russell Hughes and winger Paul Gayler all scored tries for Valleys, while Boris Crassini and Morris scored for the Tigers. At 15-all and going into the final throws of the match, the big names from both teams simply put their bodies on the line in an effort to seal victory. There was nothing between the teams all day, with Diehards Hughes, halves Marty Scanlan and Ross Threlfo, and forwards John Crilly, John McCabe and Hugh ODoherty going head-to-head with the Tigers Morris, half Lee Hutchinson, wingers Jeff Denman and Allan Currie, and forwards Crassini, John Lang and Paul Khan.
Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners

View All Partners