Focus on Central West
The central west rugby league season officially kicked off last Saturday with the Junior Cluster & Conlan Trophy Day at Ilfracombe.
The day started out with a batch of new players (being U6) just after 8.15am in the morning. It is wonderful to watch these young players learning and developing the skills of the game for which we hope they will continue to play as they get older. Many parents and family members came to watch and support these future youngsters and got great delight watching them tackling, passing the ball, playing the ball and even the scoring the odd try.
Games continued in the juniors in U7; U9; U11 and U13 throughout the day. We sincerely thank all the junior clubs and the parents for bringing along their junior players. Great fun was had by all.
Following the juniors it was the seniors turn, but they were competing in the initial rounds to make the final of the Conlan Trophy. Points table following the rounds was Longreach 14; Blackall 10; Winton 10; Barcaldine 4 and Ilfracombe 0. On count back Longreach would be playing Blackall in the final whilst 3rd and 4th would be played between Winton and Barcaldine, but both teams decided not to play the match due to a number of injuries sustained during the rounds.
Following a break of 15 minutes Longreach took on Blackall in the final. This was a supercharged game worthy of a final even though the score didn’t reflect it. Unfortunately Longreach fought really hard in this match but couldn’t contain their bigger opponents who ran in five unanswered tries to win the Conlan Trophy 22-0.
Following the final the trophy presentation was made. In his speech David Kerrigan thanked all the junior clubs and the senior clubs for participating, for all the spectators for their support and to Ilfracombe for hosting such a fantastic day of rugby league. He congratulated both teams in the final and to Blackall for their win. David welcomed Conlan Trophy family members Cheryl Power; Jacey Palmer; Toni Austin; Kerrod Power and Gavin Power to the stage with Toni Austin explaining the Conlan Trophy before it was presented to the winning team of Blackall.
Earlier in the day the CWRL held a general meeting and several issues were raised and discussed.
- QRL Appointments – Mr Rob Crow has been appointed new Central Division Manager and Mr Tony Wilkinson has been Operations Officer for Central West. CWRL congratulates them both and welcomed Tony to the team
- Rep Team Appointments – A Grade Coach Adrian Scott, Team Manager Noodie Brotherton, FAO/Leaguesafe BJ Bernie & Grub Robberds; U13 Coach Jeremy Barron & Leaguesafe Dale Baigrie; U14 Coach Dwayne Kangan; U16 Coach Joel Mann, Team Manager Leah Jackson and Leaguesafe Mark Jackson; CQ Trials Tour Coordinator Leah Jackson. Some positions have not been filled and looking for volunteers to help in those roles. To nominate, please contact David Kerrigan 0427 009 375
- Senior competition rules were adopted
- Following the resignation of Junior Delegate Travis Harbour (we sincerely thank him for his service to this role), Dwayne Kangan has been appointed as the replacement Junior Delegate. All juniors matters can be referred to Dwayne – contact him on 0418576926
- 10 new referees completed their level 1 course and look forward to them taking to the field.
- Code of Conduct – all clubs have agreed to implement this code and certain behaviour will not be tolerated and will assist in delivering a safe and positive environment to everyone involved in the game to allow everyone to have the best chance of enjoying the game. The code applies to every person attending a rugby league match whether they are a coach, first aid officer, match official, club or league association staff and volunteers, ground managers and duty officials, parents/carers of players, sponsor or their representative, club supporters or members of the general public.
- U14 Southern players – names to Dwayne Kangan by 4th April as a possible game against Charleville on 12th April (final selection day) in preparation for game in Mount Isa 9th to 11th May.
On the rep front, the CQ trials will be held in Barcaldine on Sunday, May 18. All U13, U14 and U16 players are requested to attend. Outback Muster (A Grade & U19) selection day will be held on Saturday, May 24 in Longreach. All interested players are welcome to attend – this will be like a Reds v Greys match.
First round of the season kicks off on Saturday, April 26 with Longreach playing host to Barcaldine whilst Ilfracombe travel to Blackall. We wish all teams the best of luck for the season.
Mark your calender!! To be part of the celebrations for a visit by the XXXX Qld State of Origin team to Longreach on Tuesday, June 10. Everyone is invited to attend to be part of this great day. Plans are well underway and when final touches have been completed full details will be released. Any queries for the fan day please contact co-ordinator Tony Wilkinson on 0400043768.