You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

The heavyweights of the Caloundra RSL A-grade cup clashed in a top of the table showdown over the weekend, with the Kawana Dolphins disposing of their nearest rivals the Caloundra Sharks at Stockland Park on Saturday night.

With the Sunshine Coast Falcons failing to get their disappointing season back on track less than 100 metres away, the Dolphins extended their impressive winning streak to 13 matches, drowning the Sharks 36-20.

The Sharks have been the side deemed most likely to challenge the Dolphins for this year’s premiership and with the added bonus of a trophy named in honour of the little general in Allan ‘Alfie’ Langer up for grabs it looked as if they were up for the challenge.

The Dolphins established an early 12-point lead with tries to Halls and Teys. But the Sharks fought back by means of a try to Joel Kendall and an outstanding try by centre Kenny Stewart on the stroke of half-time to go to the break trailing by four.

However the second half belonged to the Dolphins, capitalizing on numerous handling errors by the Sharks, and rattling off some massive hits in defence  to secure a 16 point victory.

Special mention must go to the Dolphins five-eighth in Alex Forrest, who managed to bag a hat-trick in a dominant second half performance. Forrest put his hand up to be the key playmaker in the new-look Dolphins side, following the departure of key members Jordan Meads and Jason Wardrop.

The most impressive feature of the Dolphins’ winning streak is the depth of their playing roster, which on Saturday night featured five Under-18 players.

In the two other matches, the Caboolture Snakes ground out a tough-fought 36-22 win over the battling Nambour Crushers on Saturday night.

The Snakes were put on the back-foot early with Travis Barker being sent off mid-way through the first half following an all-in brawl and were reduced to 11 men in the 70th minute with Scott Maddick sent packing for dissent.

Despite the setbacks, two tries to young winger Josh Armstrong and four-pointers to five of his team-mates put the Snakes season back on track, recording their eighth win to remain in third position.

The final game saw the joint Noosa-Gympie venture failing to capitalise on a half-time deadlock in their match with Maroochydore-Coolum Swans. With scores locked at 10-10 at the break, the Swans put their poor second-half performances of late behind them to record a 34-22 win, leaving the Pirate-Devils searching for their first win since the May merger.

Troy Mendham scored yet another try and kicked five goals for the Swans, with Clinton Eastell picking up a double. The Pirate-Devils’ Josh Greaves also bagged two-tries.

Next weekend sees all three matches taking place on Saturday night with cellar-dwellers Noosa-Gympie hosting the Kawana Dolphins at Gympie. Caboolture will travel north to Maroochydore to take on the Swans and Nambour will try to get their season back on track when they take on Caloundra.