You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Brothers defeated Goodna Eagles 36-18 on Sunday in a fiery clash at Woogaroo Field in the Ipswich Rugby League Mayor Paul Pisasale A-Grade Cup.

After a disappointing last-start loss against Fassifern, Brothers bounced back with a convincing win in the top of the table clash.

In the first set of the match Brothers received a penalty which got them into great attacking position.

Brothers made their intentions clear early when winger Ben Seve scored a try for the Brethren less than two minutes into the game.

Only minutes later it was Goodna who received a penalty in good attacking position.

Goodna made the most from the penalty when a perfectly placed cross-field kick resulted in a try for Eagles winger Taavilli Leaunoa, when Corey Kirk converted the try Goodna took a 6-4 lead.

Brothers were quick to snatch the lead back though, when William Oloitoa scored for the Brethren in the 17th minute.

Leading 10-6 with seconds remaining in the first-half, Cameron Picker kicked a penalty goal for Brothers, to extend the Brethren’s lead to 12-6 at halftime.

In the second-half, Goodna had to overcome having multiple players in the sin-bin if they wanted to compete.

After just nine minutes in the second-half Brothers had already scored two tries, Tasi Graff scored out wide taking advantage of an overlap and Elijah Umu ran an excellent line to score in the 49th minute.

Goodna showed some promise in the 60th minute when Liu Famaate scored for the Eagles to bring the margin back down to 12-points at 24-12.

But Brothers answered the challenge with a try to Elijah Umu and a try, conversion and penalty goal to Cameron Picker to race out to a 36-12 lead.

In the 78th minute Horomona Solomon Foley scored for Goodna to bring the score-line back down to three converted tries.

But it was Brothers who won the game 36-18 to go to the top of the Ipswich Rugby League Mayor Paul Pisasale A-Grade Cup ladder.

In the other Ipswich Rugby League Mayor Paul Pisasale A-Grade Cup round 12 matches, Fassifern defeated West End 38-30 and Norths defeated Swifts 50-4.