You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Intrust Super Cup Round 17 Highlights - Redcliffe Dolphins V PNG Hunters at Dolphin Oval, Redcliffe. 1.40pm Sunday July 5, 2015.


By QRL Media

After a whirlwind 80 minutes at Dolphin Oval yesterday – nothing could separate the Redcliffe Dolphins and PNG Hunters who shared the competition points following a 28-28 draw.

More than your standard ‘thrilling draw’ – this match had almost everything including massive efforts in defence, great speed and a thing most rare – a try-scoring double from a prop.

The home side got off to a great start early, with Anthony Cherrington making a break to go over under the posts with ease; while the Hunters come-back from hooker Wartovo Puara was almost as simple; a quick dart from dummy half.

His second however was a much more complicated affair and needed the approval of the video referee before being awarded given the hectic nature of the grounding.

From the middle of the field, Puara soccered the ball ahead twice and was deemed to have got his hand on the ball over the line after flying through behind his team-mate Willie Minoga and two Redcliffe defenders who were all unable to ground the ball.

The Hunters went out to a 16-6 lead when a high kick proved too hard handle for the Dolphins and PNG skipper Israel Eliab was able to snatch the bouncing ball from the air to plant it under the sticks.

Redcliffe wouldn’t go away and soon after Aaron Whitchurch generously gave Josh Rudolph a try to see the Dolphins close the gap.

They scored again just before halftime in an incredible passage of play that went end-to-end from PNG attack to a Redcliffe offence. In the end, Jon Green was on the end of some good play from Marlon Doak who offloaded to fellow half Luke Capewell who found the big prop in space.

Holding a slim 18-16 lead going into the break – the Dolphins extended their advantage by crossing first in the second half with fullback Josh Beehag going over on the left-hand side.

A huge cut-out pass at the other end of the field found winger Oti Bland Tony who crossed for the Hunters to put them with two points of the Dolphins, before a penalty kick conversion by Noel Zeming levelled scores at 22-22 with 20 minutes remaining.

Green got his unlikely double with just over 13 left on the clock when he was again given space in front of the line, with Trent Richardson popping up a ball to the XXXX man of the match who stepped into a gap and straight ahead over the line for a 28-22 lead.

However, the Dolphins were unable to prevent the Hunters from again drawing level, with a great run from Thompson Teteh rewarded with a try to fullback Stargroth Amean.

In the final stages of the match, both sides had field goal attempts waved away to share the fittingly share the points from an entertaining Channel 9 TV match.

REDCLIFFE DOLPHINS 28 (Jon Green 2, Josh Beehag, Josh Rudolph, Anthony Cherrington tries; Luke Capewell 4 goals) drew with PNG HUNTERS 28 (Wartovo Puara 2, Stargroth Amean, Israel Eliab, Oti Bland Tony tries; Noel Zeming 4 goals) at Dolphin Oval.

Final teams

Redcliffe Dolphins: 1. Josh Beehag 2. Josh Rudolph 3. Tom Opacic 4. Aaron Whitchurch 5. Curtis Johnston 21. Trent Richardson 7. Luke Capewell (c) 8. Charlie Faingaa 9. Darcy Etrich 10. Jon Green 11. Nick Ritter 12. Anthony Cherrington 13. Tyson Cleal 14. Logan Harris 6. Marlon Doak 16. Harley Aiono 17. Taylor Brown

PNG Hunters:  1. Stargroth Amean 2. David Lapua 3. Noel Zeming 24. Thompson Teteh 5. Adex Wera 6. Israel Eliab (c) 7. Ase Boas 8. Henry Noki 9. Wartovo Puara 10. Esau Siune 11. Brandy Peter 12. Timothy Lomai 23. Edward Goma 14. Nickson Borana 15. Atte Bina 16. Willie Minoga 18. Oti Bland Tony