You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Luke Guinane offloads the ball during their semi-final match against the Yeppoon Seagulls at Browne Park. 
Photo Rachael Conaghan/The Morning Bulletin

Norths Chargers' put the other teams on notice on Saturday night with an upset win over premiership favourites Yeppoon Seagulls.

A spot in the 2015 Grand Final was on the line for the minor premiers Yeppoon Seagulls and the in-form North Chargers on Saturday night in week one of the Rockhampton Rugby League semi-finals.

The Norths side shot to a 4-0 lead when star center Russell Webber capitalised on a backline move to crash over on the right edge.

Webber quickly turned from hero to villain when in the 19th minute back-chat left his side with 12 men.   

It did not deter his teammates as their barnstorming forward pack continually shut down a frustrated Seagulls' attack. The chargers took a 10–4 lead into the half time break.

The Seagulls fired into the second half via their young and enthusiastic back line.  They landed them back-to-back tries to creep ahead 12-10.

Norths' hit back through vice-captain Mitch Smith who channeled his “inner-prop” to charge over in the 62nd minute.

Despite constant pressure on their own line the depleted Chargers' defense physically blunted the Yeppoon attack, keeping them scoreless in the back end of the second half.

"I'm very proud of our guys, they really dug deep and showed a lot of self-belief and character," Norths coach Charlie Beresford said.

The Chargers progress to the grand final while the Seagulls take on Brothers in Saturday's qualifying semi-final.

The second semi-final of the night the saw a Dominant display from Brothers hooker Tommy Simpson.  He guided his side to a 42-10 win over Emu Park.

The Brethren dominated much of the preliminary final clash at Browne Park on Saturday night and at one stage led 36-4 with 20 minutes remaining.

"We scored the first two or three tries and were on a roll," Brothers coach Michael Jenkins said.

"It was good to have our full squad, all our players back, fit and available."

A slice of individual brilliance from Brothers winger Steven Donovan enabled the 20-year-old speedster to cross the paint late in the second stanza.

Emus' big man Cornwell Pearson responded to crash over in the 61st minute but that was the last time the Emu Park side troubled the scorers.

"We had a real solid kick chase game, plenty of pushing through on the chase, and that frustrated their fullback Anthony Raymond who had no room to move," Jenkins said.

"That was our main focus, to get to our kicks, and we did that and shut them down."

The Rockhampton Brothers will now play the Yeppoon Seagulls on Saturday with loser bowing out for the season and the winner gaining the opportunity to take on the Norths Chargers in the Grand Final.


Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners

View All Partners