You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Wynnum Manly came to Ipswich looking to record their first win of the year and left for home satisfied having secured victory in a close-fought game against an injury-ravaged Jets earlier today.

Going into the match, they held an 8-7 advantage over the Jets at the North Ipswich Reserve and they got off to the best possible start as they attempted to build on that record.

Alex Barr got the Seagulls flying when he ran off a short ball from half Matt Smith, isolating Haydan Lipp, who could not match the big forward that close to the line.

The Jets first encounter with the try line came in the 11th minute when Nat Neale scored his second try in as many weeks, barging over under a flock of seagulls in the left hand corner to get the Jets back to 6-4 after the Jets attacked the blind side.

Daniel Ogden got one back for the Seagulls when they went to their left through the hands and Patrick Templeman executed an offload to get their second try.

Carlin Anderson scored his 35th Intrust Super Cup try when he supported Tyson Lofipo in the Jets’ middle third and scored under the posts for the Jets to level the scores at 12-12.

Ipswich then attacked from beyond the half way with Josh Seage scoring his second try this season after dummying and outpacing everyone with a run that just kept on going.

With that, the Jets were in front for the first time in the match with a 16-12 lead and looked to head into the halftime break holding an advantage, also for the first time since the Round 4 game against Souths Logan.

However, Matt Seamark had other ideas, executing a perfect cross-field kick to the right for a flying Peter Gubb to score his 40th try in game 101 and at half time, the Wynnum Seagulls led 18-16.

Ogden started the second half by helping himself to a second try after spotting no one at home for the Jets following a Greg Eden kick-through to get the Seagulls up 22-16.

The Gulls were on the board again soon after when they executed a one-on-one steal after the Jets rucked it off their own line and Templeman raced away to score and push his side out to 28-16.

With 15 minutes to go, Lipp showed some great footwork and offload to find Billy McConnachie who scored his first try for 2016 and more importantly, got the Jets back into the game at 28-22.

But those were all the points the depleted Jets could muster, while the Seagulls were offered two more from a penalty with minutes remaining. They claimed them as well to ice the breakthrough win 30-22.

While the Seagulls celebrated a coveted victory, the Jets were left counting the cost of more than just the loss, with three key players unable to finish the match.

The Jets showed plenty of courage to stay in the contest after losing Marmin Barba with a broken leg in the first minute of play, Liam Capewell to a knee injury and Richard Pandia with a rib problem.

Next weekend, the Jets join the Sunshine Coast in taking their Round 8 game to Hervey Bay, while the Seagulls will enjoy the weekend off with the bye.

See the final teams and scoring details for this game via QRL Live

WYNNUM MANLY SEAGULLS 30 (Daniel Ogden 2, Alex Barr, Peter Gubb, Patrick Templeman tries; Mathew Seamark 5 goals) def IPSWICH JETS 22 (Nathaniel Neale, Carlin Anderson, Joshua Seage, Billy McConnachie tries; Haydan Lipp 3 goals) at North Ipswich Reserve.

Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners

View All Partners