Two of Queensland’s flagship representative teams will have new coaches at the helm in 2017, with the QRL today confirming the appointments of Jon Buchanan and Adrian Vowles to key roles.
Buchanan, the 2014 Intrust Super Cup Coach of the Year, will have the responsibility of preparing the XXXX Queensland Residents for the annual clash against NSW in May.
(Watch the QRL TV interview with Jon Buchanan above)
Former NRL and Origin forward Vowles takes the reins of the Queensland Women’s team from Brad Donald, who was appointed head coach of the Jillaroos team in November.
Vowles will draw on his experience as an assistant coach with the Jillaroos last year when he begins to plot Queensland’s quest to reclaim the Nellie Doherty Cup.
“Women’s rugby league is the fastest growing area of our game and I’m honoured to be involved at this level,” Vowles said.
“NSW certainly came to play last year and thoroughly deserved their win.
“I know how much this Queensland jersey means to the players and together with our support staff, we’ll be doing everything in our power to ensure the group is well prepared to deliver a strong performance.”
Buchanan finds himself in a similar position to Vowles after the XXXX Queensland Residents lost their grip on the trophy in 2016 as well.
“Anytime we get an opportunity to represent our competition against New South Wales is a chance for us to get on top,” Buchanan said.
“I think over the last four or five years we’ve been really successful at that so hopefully we can rectify last year’s result.”
Queensland had been eyeing a third-straight win in last season’s match, but their bid was dashed by a slow start and a clinical NSW team, which went on to claim an impressive 30-16 win.
Buchanan is already giving considerable thought to the make-up of his team.
“A player who can have effort on effort,” he said when asked about the type of player the selectors would be looking at.
“I think at this level, it’s one game of footy we’ve got to get them prepared for. If you can produce that, where you keep turning up for each other, I think that’s the key.
“The majority of our players in the Intrust Super Cup can play footy at this level and that will be something I’ll be really looking for when I’m viewing games.”
Before he takes the Queensland team into camp, the former Wynnum Manly coach will focus on making a positive start with new club the Souths Logan Magpies.
Queensland Representative Appointments
• XXXX Queensland Residents – Jon Buchanan
• Queensland Women – Adrian Vowles
• Queensland Under 16 – Kurt Richards
• Queensland Under 18 – Josh Hannay
• XXXX Queensland Rangers – Glen Dreger
• XXXX Queensland Residents – Wayne Treleaven
• Queensland Women - Ben Jeffries
• Queensland Under 16 – Allan Petersen
• Queensland Under 18 – Mick Roberts
• XXXX Queensland Rangers – Mark Ross
• XXXX Queensland Residents – Jamie Dowse
• Queensland Women – Steve Brown
• Queensland Under 16 - Scott Clark
• Queensland Under 18 – Richard Duff
• XXXX Queensland Rangers – Mark Winton
Head Trainers / Strength & Conditioners:
• XXXX Queensland Residents – Christopher Mikkelson
• Queensland Women – Jordan Schouten
• Queensland Under 16 – Jamal Esfahani
• Queensland Under 18 – Chris Muckert
• XXXX Queensland Rangers – Michael Barber
• XXXX Queensland Residents – Dean Arbuthnot
• Queensland Women – Kym Mahon
• Queensland Under 16 – Gerald Thompson
• Queensland Under 18 – Jim Wilson
• XXXX Queensland Rangers – Matt Pacey
• XXXX Queensland Residents – Damian Cocciolone
• Queensland Women – Angela Flack
• Queensland Under 16 – Lindsay Trigar
• Queensland Under 18 – Ben Heidenreich
• XXXX Queensland Rangers – Carly Jenner