You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Samuel MESKELL (Tweed Heads Seagulls) - PHOTO :- SMPIMAGES.COM - Action from the round 4 Intrust Supercup Clash between the Tweed Heads Seagulls v Central Queensland Capras played at CBUS Stadium on the Gold Coast.

The Intrust Super Cup headed to Robina for the first time with the Tweed Heads Seagulls and CQ Capras playing as a curtain raiser for the Gold Coast Titans.

Both teams have an affiliation to the NRL club and we're able to experience a stadium-like atmosphere.

The Capras had a dream start with Tony Tumusa scoring in the fourth minute after his side earned themselves a line dropout.

That effort was followed up soon after when co-captain Gavin Hiscox crossed to extend the margin to 12-0 after the Gulls had coughed up the ball. Both tries were successfully converted by Tumusa.

Despite a performance riddled with errors, the Seagulls were able to hit back before the break with hooker Sam Meskell darting over meaning the CQ side took a 12-6 lead into the break.

Although the scores were close at halftime, Tweed were their own enemy for much of the game and were unable to successfully defend their errors.

This continued to be the case again in the second half and the Capras were good enough to capitalise.

In the opening minute of the second half, the CQ side were over again, when big forward Jack Kavanagh crashed over under the posts.

Maipele Morseau was the next to score for the visitors, with Tumusa's boot again accurate in converting the try and push the lead out to 24-6 with 26 minutes to go. He was in the action again, slotting a penalty goal for a 26-6 advantage.

The Seagulls did have a chance to close the gap during this period, only for a forward pass to rule out their try.

Seemingly done as a contest, the Capras were able to again exploit the tired Tweed Heads defence in the 66th minute with Ayden Cooper going over to give his side a deserved 30-6 lead.

However, with the game lost and only 11 minutes left on the board, the Seagulls decided to play some football.

Exciting winger Brayden McGrady scored two tries in the last 10 minutes to add respectability to the score line and they had another disallowed in that time as well, again for a forward pass in the final play.  

With nothing to lose, the Gulls were willing to through the ball around and would have caused some nervous final moments for Capras fans, despite the growing crowd cheering the contest.

However, in his 100th Cup game in charge, coach Kim Williams was able to celebrate a win as his side had done all the hard work early to build pressure and force the Gulls into errors.

Their second win for the second and their second in row after downing the Burleigh Bears last weekend, the Capras will be aiming to keep their momentum going to upset the Norths Devil next Saturday.

The Gulls – who are still searching for their first – will be at home next Sunday against Souths Logan.

See the final team line-ups and full scoring details for this game via QRL Live

CQ CAPRAS 30 (Tony Tumusa, Gavin Hiscox, Jack Kavanagh, Maipele Morseau, Ayden Cooper tries; Tony Tumusa 5 goals) def TWEED HEADS SEAGULLS 16 (Brayden McGrady 2, Samuel Meskell tries; Michael Burgess 2 goals) at Cbus Stadium, Robina.

Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners