Preview of Round 8 of the Rugby League Gold Coast A Grade Competition.
Tugun Seahawks v Southport Tigers
The Tugun Seahawks and Southport Tigers will go head-to-head for the Pat Shepherdson Memorial Trophy this weekend. After a dominant win against the Ormeau Shearers 72-4 last weekend, the Seahawks are confident leading into this week. Returning from retirement, Drumayne Dayberg-Muir will take the field this weekend and boost his team’s potential. Coach Martin Griese was pleased with the team’s push up and support and hopes it can continue into this weekend against the strong and physical Tigers. Southport experienced a close match in their last game, scoring on the buzzer to win 22-16 against the Bilambil Jets. Coach Tim Cannard believes the Tigers can push the Seahawks. “If we stick to what we know and complete our sets, we can really challenge Tugun,” Cannard said. Stand outs Justin McKenna and Zoram Watene will be ones to watch this weekend.
Burleigh Bears v Tweed Heads Seagulls
The top-of-the-table clash will see the Burleigh Bears take on the Tweed Heads Seagulls. Suffering a couple of injuries and changes in the playing roster, the Bears are looking unstable heading into the Round 8 clash. Coach Stuart Wilkins hopes the team can switch on this week as Runaway Bay capitalised on their lack of enthusiasm last weekend. The Bears will be utilising young guns Te McDonald and Shaun Garner to fill in gaps in the playing roster. Tweed Heads will also be experiencing some changes this weekend in their playing roster. The team will be focusing on attacking and the development of combinations and will look Kobi Annand, Shaun Hinton and Kirk Murphy who will be ones to watch this weekend.
Currumbin Eagles v Runaway Bay Seagulls
The unpredictable Currumbin Eagles will give the Runaway Bay Seagulls a challenge this weekend as they just came short 22-16 last weekend against the Tweed Heads Seagulls. Working on the basics seems to be paying off as the Eagles improved their defence and put a couple of points on the board over the weekend. Runaway Bay are also looking strong leading into the Round 8 clash, as they challenged top of the ladder and undefeated Burleigh Bears last weekend in a 28-36 loss.
Ormeau Shearers v Bilambil Jets
The Bilambil Jets will be hungry for a win this weekend to maintain their top five standing in the competition. Going head-to-head with the Southport Tigers all 70 minutes in their last game; the Jets only marginally missed out on the win as the Tigers slotted in for a try in the last minute. The Jets have been working to maintain a consistent playing roster and to add combinations to improve their attacking sets. The Shearers have yet to get their first win of the season and are struggling with players out from injury. Suffering another defeat 72-4 against the Tugun Seahawks, coach Jeremy Golf knows the squad will keep competing and return each week. The Shearers will be looking at their experienced players to help lift the team.
Round 8 Team Lists
Burleigh Bears v Tweed Heads Seagulls at Pizzey Park, Saturday, June 10 – 5.45pm
1. Sam Grant 2. Waka Wanahi 3. Dylan Pelo 4. Te Rangiatea McDonald 5. Toby McIntosh 7. Keanu TeKiri 8. Daymeric Pelo 9. Chris Law 10. Tyler Sparkes 11. Rhys Duke 12. Daniel Schwass 13. Ricardo Parata 14. Tyler Chadburn 15. Sam Swift 16. Anthony Gray 17. Sean Garner
Coach: Stuart Wilkins
1.Jayden Baker 2. David Green 3. Kurtis McDonald 4. Regan Muir 5. David Sheridan 6. Kobi Annand 7. Ben Jackson 8. Ezra Howe 9. Mackensie Reid 10. Josh Harvey 11. Dane Clarke 12. Kirk Murphy 13. Shaun Hinton 14. Angus Dorante 15. Mike Grey 16. Diaz Sharrock 17. Michael McKinnon 18. Jordan Aiono 19. Jarrod Morfett
Coach: Darryl Fisher
Currumbin Eagles v Runaway Bay Seagulls at Galleon Way, Sunday, June 11 – 2pm
1. Jackson Galwey 2. Lachie Smith 3. Kenny Allison (c) 4. Miki Pohio 5. Harley Wood 6. Brayden Evan 7. Kyle Ramage 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Kelly Benson 10. Kieran Tarrant 11. Jayde Batchelor 12. Scott Avery 13. Liam Donnelly 14. Nathan Ingram 15. Cooper Hennessey 16. Ethan Williams 17. Jacob Roby
Coach: Ryan Gundry
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. John Mackin 2. Walter Lauenstein 3. Blake Midson 4. Jake Powell 5. Harry Hill 6. James Poland 7. Falani Arkell 8. Benjamin Tuala 9. Henry Chan-Ting 10. Jordan McLaughlin 11 Andrew Vela 12. Jackson O’Leary 13. Ethan Gallop 14. Kingi Akauola 15. Santana Latu 16. Ryan Lamont 17. Ian Fuaivaa
Coach: Clinton Toopi
Ormeau Shearers v Bilambil Jets at Brien Harris Oval, Sunday, June 11 – 2pm
1. Kaya Gray-Mackay 2. Israel Taligatus 3. Josh Walker 4. Taani Uhila 5. Pene Webber 6. Blake Brown 7. Ben Muller 8. Mat Fatafehi 9. Dallas Chase 10. Mohi Kendrick 11. Trent Shield 12. Jordan Haim 13. Shane Blow 14. Jack Sanburg 16. Robert Marsters 20. Luke Monk
Coach: Jeremy Golf
1. Luke Harvey 2. Josh Quinn 3. Brodie Cook 4. Ben Bullock 6. Tom Dawney 7. Cal Lynn 8. Mitch Spackman (c) 9. Tom Raftery 10. Wade Hall 11. Harrison Burling 12. Koen Sleba 13. Jackson Springer 14. Tom Plater 15. Chris Rigney 17. Brendan Walsh
Coach: Craig Rowles
Tugun Seahawks v Southport Tigers at Boyd Street, Sunday, June 11, 2pm
1. Corey Morris 2. Adam Barnes 3. Kevin Nilan 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Sav Rapana 6. Grayson Te Kiri 7. Drumayne Dayberg-Muir 8. Bryce Thomas 9. Chris Thomas 10. Sam Eley 11. Dean Murphy 13. Shane Gray 14. Daniel Webb 15. Travis Barry 16. Tu Whakatihi 17. Timi Matenga
Coach: Martin Griese
1. Jordan Stewart 2. Jayden Watene 3. Joe Ramsden 4. Nazareth Monsall 5. Classie Oti 6. Israel Oti 7. Kane Rudolph 8. Te-Reihana Peters 9. Cody Evans 10. Lachlan Douglas 11. Justin McKenna 12. Adam Kelly 13. Scott Jensen 14. Zoram Watene 15. Jake Landers 17. Judaea Monsall 20. Corey Griffiths
Coach: Tim Cannard