Gold Coast Rugby League Round 14 preview
Last year’s grand final team Burleigh Bears and Tugun headline an exciting weekend of rugby league this weekend.
Burleigh Bears v Tugun Seahawks
Tomorrow, last year’s grand final rivals Burleigh and Tugun will go head to head at Pizzey Park. Having worked on their consistency and attitude, the Seahawks are excited for this week’s clash. “We need to make sure everyone works in a team and plays to their individual roles as well,” Seahawks coach Martin Griese said. It was a light week of training for the Seahawks who are continually working on new set plays and combinations. Although Dean Murphy and Reece Worboys are still out, Drumayne Dayberg-Muir and Timi Matenga will be the ones to watch for them in this match. Recently challenged by the Southport Tigers, the Bears only just did enough to get the 22-14 win last weekend. “We know what we are in for with Tugun, they are always strong and we need to be more disciplined this week,” Bears coach Stuart Wilkins said. His key players will be fullback Toby McIntosh, Daymeric Pelo and Ricardo Parata.
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Ormeau Shearers
A late game for Tweed Heads and Ormeau Shearers sees them travel to Beaudesert’s RS Willis Park on Saturday night. After falling short last weekend, the Seagulls are aiming to start strong and get back within the top three of the competition. “We were just outplayed by the Tugun Seahawks and need to be smarter and take our opportunities,” Seagulls coach Darryl Fisher said. Although losing a couple of players to injury, captain Josh Harvey, Maia Sands and Sam Meskell are expected to perform well. After losing to the Currumbin Eagles 46-14 in last weekend’s clash, the Shearers are working hard to have the capability to wrestle and challenge the strong Seagulls. “We have been training this week; focusing on ball control and the ruck and it is really important we complete sets this week,” Shearers coach Ian Frame said. Frame is hopeful of seeing a handful of players returning from injury, including captain Mohi Kendrick.
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Southport Tigers
The Runaway Bay Seagulls aim to cement their second ladder position as they take on the Southport Tigers. Although defeated by the Burleigh Bears, the Tigers lifted their game and only fell short 22-14 last weekend. Showing strength in the middle, the Runaway Bay Seagulls will need to strap in for a physical match. Standing out last weekend Justin McKenna will be one to watch. Although beaten last week the Runaway Bay Seagulls, have been working on combinations, attacking sets, and fine-tuning set plays. “We have really good depth in the club and definitely progressed a lot this season”, said Seagulls Coach Clinton Toopi. Stand out player Jamie Anderson positively boosts the team with his experience and is one to watch week in week out.
Bilambil Jets v Currumbin Eagles
Sunday will see the local derby between the Bilambil Jets and Currumbin Eagles down at Bilambil Sports. As both teams are on 25 points, sitting fifth and sixth and with finals fast approaching, this southern clash is crucial. Defeating second on the ladder the Runaway Bay Seagulls, the Jets are looking strong and confident leading into this week. Scoring a double, young stand out Brenton Daley-Holten will be one to keep an eye on. Also scoring a win from last weekend against the Ormeau Shearers, the Eagles are hungry to chase down the Jets. Points scored across the board players to watch are Daniel Jevdenijevic, Kelly Benson and Ethan Williams.
Round 14 Teams Lists
Burleigh Bears v Tugun Seahawks at Pizzey Park, Saturday, July 29 – 4pm
1. Toby McIntosh 2. Waka Wanahi 3. Dylan Pelo 4. Te Rangiatea McDonald 5. Ethan Mafi 6. Sam Grant 7. Jacob Grant 8. Daymeric Pelo 9. Ricardo Parata 10. Tyler Sparkes 11. Daniel Schwass 12. Parahi Wilson 13. Lorenzo Maafi 14. Jesse Malcom 15. Anthony Gray 16. Rhys Duke 17. Harry Hughes
Coach: Stuart Wilkins
1. Jabe Gamble 2. Adam Barnes 3. Kevin Nilan 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Zac Jones 6. Grayson Te Kiri 7. Drumayne Dayberg-Muir 8. Bryce Thomas 9. Chris Thomas 10. Shane Gray 11. Tu Whakatihi 12. Ayden Lee 13. Dan Webb 14. Savern Rapana 15. Levi Norton 16. Brad Adams 17. Timi Matenga
Coach: Martin Griese
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Ormeau Shearers at RS Willis Beaudesert, Saturday, July 29 – 6pm
1. Paul Seedy 2. Shaquille Gafa 3. Zak Bainbridge 4. MacAuley Dawson 5. Regan Ogle 6. Kobi Annand 7. Phoenix Hunapo 8. Jordan Aiono-Fatu 9. Mackenzie Reid 10. Joshua Harvey 11. Maia Sands 12. Jarrod Morfett 15. Shaun Hinton 17. Andrew Hart 19. Diaz Harrock 20. Joshua Ralph
Coach: Darryl Fisher
1. Israel Taligatus 2. Lewis Prizeman 3. Josh Walker 4. Taani Uhila-Ngata 5. Nathan Farragher 6. Jack Sanburg 7. Trent Shield 8. Mohi Kendrick 9. Dallas Chase 10. Shane Blow 11. Jayde Graco 12. Johnny Farr 13. Jordan Haim 14. Ben Muller 15. Josh Hill 16. Aati Sua
Coach: Ian Frame
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Southport Tigers at Bycroft Oval, Saturday, July 29 – 6.30pm
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. John Mackin 2. Walter Launstein 3. Jamie Anderson 4. Matt Gandy (c) 5. Jake Powell 6. Joshua Willetts 7. Falani Arkell 8. Jordan McLaughlin 9. Henry Chan-Ting 10. Kingi Akauola 11. Kimihia Hemopo 12. Andrew Vela 13. Brodie Clark 14. Santana Latu 15. Blake Midson 16. Ethan Gallop 17. Jackson O’Leary
Coach: Clinton Toopi
1. Dylan Lagerstrom 2. Kane Rudolph 3. Lewis Barnett 4. Naz Mansell 5. Classie Oti 6. Scott Jenson 7. Zoram Watene 8. Judaea Monsall 9. Izzy Oti 10. Adam Kelly 11. Justin Mckenna 12. Jake Landers 13. Mick Esdale 15. Lachlan Douglas 17. Joseph Ramsden 18. Te-Reihana Peters 20. Corey Griffiths
Coach: Tim Cannard
Bilambil Jets v Currumbin Eagles at Bilambil Sports, Sunday, July 30 – 2pm
1. Cal Lynn 2. Brodie Cook 3. Ben Bullock 4. Luke Harvey 5. Josh Quinn 6. Tom Dawney 7. Carne Rhodes 8. Mitch Spackman (c) 9. Zeke Garrett 10. Chris Rigney 11. Harrison Burling 12. Jackson Springer 13. Tom Raftery 14. Luke Jaeger 15. Brendon Welsh 16. Nick Bond
Coach: Craig Rowles
1. Harley Wood 2. Kallum Mackay 3. Miki Pohio 4. Kenny Allison (c) 5. Dan Jevdenijevic 6. Reid Henderson 7. Jake Gleeson 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Kelly Benson 10. Kieran Tarrant 11. Wayne Ryburn 12. Scott Avery 13. Jacob Roby 14. Liam Donnelly 15. Jamie Crocker 16. Jayde Batchelor 17. Jake Harlen
Coach: Ryan Gundry