The last round of the Rugby League Gold Coast A Grade competition will kick off with the Debbie Marzella Reserve Grade Cup grand final tomorrow.
Unfortunately, the Tugun v Ormeau match to be played on Sunday will not be going ahead due to the lack of player numbers in the Ormeau side.
Mudgeeraba Redbacks v Parkwood Sharks
The Debbie Marzella Reserve Grade Cup grand final will kick off tomorrow (Saturday) with the Mudgeeraba Redbacks taking on the Parkwood Sharks at Parkwood. At the top of the competition for most of the year, the Redbacks are favourites and have shown consistency throughout the year. They have had a week’s rest after going straight through to the grand final, defeating the Helensvale Hornets in their semi-final. Coming from third position, the Sharks have gained the confidence after defeating the Helensvale Hornets 18-16 for the first time this year in the preliminary final. “It is a great achievement for the club to make the final and shows the hard work has paid off for the boys,” Sharks coach Craig Wallace said. The key for the Sharks will be to play smart and tough football and ensure everyone performs their individual jobs.
Bilambil Jets v Southport Tigers
The Bilambil Jets will take on the Southport Tigers this weekend to stay in the top five and in finals contention. They had a tough loss last week against Burleigh. Securing a win against the Southport Tigers will ensure they play semi-finals next week and would give them a chance to compete for the A Grade title. Although this will be their last game, the Southport Tigers are gearing up to give the Jets a challenge. Tigers coach Tim Cannard said his players wanted to be there to press on and finish their season on a high note. Stand out players to look out in this match will be Zoram Watene, Justin McKenna and Adam Kelly.
Burleigh Bears v Runaway Bay Seagulls
This top-of-the-table clash will see Burleigh take on Runaway Bay at Pizzey Park. Both clubs have additional motivation this week as the 2017 Club Championship is on the line, with the Seagulls leading the tally by one point. Although unable to play last weekend due to Ormeau’s forfeit, the Seagulls have maintained a strong training week and are eager for the match up. Already established as the minor premiers of the A Grade competition, the Bears will make sure their approach to the game this week is no different to earlier in the season. “The boys executed the game plan to perfection and I am extremely happy with the way they performed last week,” Bears coach Stuart Wilkins said. Burleigh will players returning this week and will be fresh having had a light training week. Keep an eye out for Jesse Malcolm and Lorenzo Ma’afu.
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Currumbin Eagles
Down south, Tweed Heads will host Currumbin at Piggabeen. Just outside of finals contention, the Eagles have had a goal to improve each week. “Although we struggle with a bit of depth, the boys still put in the effort each week,” coach Ryan Gundry said. They cannot make finals due to for and against points, but the Eagles will be looking to finish the season on a high and are aiming to be competitive against the Seagulls. Players to look out for are Jarrod Gill and Jake Gould. Tweed Heads are seeing some continuity leading into the finals. “The effort to support each other and the level of intensity from the team was good to see,” Seagulls coach Darryl Fisher said. Although the Seagulls will see some changes due to injury and promotions to the Intrust Super Cup side, Fisher is confident the team can still perform. Jack Cook will step up as captain with Joshua Harvey out with injury. Jarrod Morfett, David Sheridan and Will Johnstone will be keep players.
Round 17 team lists
Mudgeeraba Redbacks v Parkwood Sharks at 180 Musgrave Ave, Saturday, August 19 – 5pm
1. Troy Cope 2. Chris Steel 3. Tyson Timu 4. Te Awa King 5. Jiofiliti Tuiloma 6. Regan Johnson 7. Newton Ferris 8. Corey Ahu 9. Kane Kelleher 10. Chris Kowaltzke 11. Dan Matthews 12. Jesse Rewita 13. Peter Woodward 14. Kahu Matenga 15. Alfred Newman 16. Rewi Kape 17. Joel Sullivan 18. Jarred Newton 19. Tyler Walters
Coach: Wayne Forbes
1. Daniel Wilson 2. David Stewart 3. Joseph Malion 4. Jessie Richards-Thompson 5. Karl Mason 6. Marty Burkhardt 7. Jayden Young 8. Hakolo Walters 9. Phillip Prendergast 10. Hadlee Rau 11. Mitchell Tausi 13. Logan Wallace 14. Nathan Welburn 15. William Tange 16. Kingstimer Paraia 17. Cooper Wallace 18. Riley Manning 21. Martin Martini
Coach: Craig Wallace
Bilambil Jets v Southport Tigers at Bilambil Sports, Sunday, August 20 – 2pm
1. Luke Jaeger 2. Mitch Rawlins 3. Luke Harvey 4. Jackson Springer 5. Ben Bullock 6. Cal Lynn 7. Carne Rhodes 8. Mitch Spackman (c) 9. Alex Fitzhugh 10. Wade Hall 11. Tom Raftery 12. Harrison Burling 13. Brendan Welsh 14. Tom Dawney 15. Nick Bond 16. Chris Rigney 17. Thomas Plater
Coach: Craig Rowles
1. TBA 2. Josh Wooton 3. Lewis Barnett 4. Naz Monsall 5. Classie Oti 6. Scott Jenson 7. Zoram Watene 8. Judaea Monsall 9. Izzy Oti 10. Adam Kelly 11. TBA 12. Jake Landers 13. Mick Esdale 17. Sam Morton 18. Cody Evans 19. Bronston Kennach 20. Corey Griffiths
Coach: Tim Cannard
Burleigh Bears v Runaway Bay Seagulls at Pizzey Park, Sunday, August 20 – 2pm
1. Toby McIntosh 2. Waka Wanahi 3. Dylan Pelo 4. Te Rangiatea McDonald 5. Corey Alexander 6. Daniel Schwass 7. Jacob Grant 8. Daymeric Pelo 9. Sam Grant 10. Anthony Gray 11. Jesse Malcolm 12. Sam Swift 13. Lorenzo Ma’afu 14. Jason Bradfield 15. Tane Rapira 16. Ethan Mafi 17. Huston Holloway
Coach: Stuart Wilkins
1. John Mackin 2. Walter Launstein 3. Daniel Kelly 4. Matt Gandy (c) 5. Jake Powell 6. Jamie Anderson 7. Falani Arkell 8. Santana Latu 9. Henry Chan-Ting 10. Jackson O’Leary 11. Kimihia Hemopo 12. Andrew Vela 13. Brodie Clark 14. Dion Belford-Laulu 15. Ethan Gallop 16. Blake Midson 17. Robert Reid
Coach: Clinton Toopi
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Currumbin Eagles at Piggabeen Sports, Sunday, August 20 – 3.30pm
Tweed Heads Seagulls
1. Josh Ralph 2. David Sheidan 3. Macauley Dawson 4. Sione Alofi 5. Shaquille Gafa 6. Kobi Annand 7. Paul Sheedy 9. Jarrod Morfett 9. Jenan Parrish 10. Jackson Clarke 11. Mike Gray 12. Jack Cook (c) 13. Maia Sands 14. Jordan Aiono 15. Sam Tochterman 16. Shaun Hinton 17. Diaz Sharrock
Coach: Darryl Fisher
1. Jake Gould 2. Lachie Smith 3. Kenny Allison (c) 4. Miki Pohio 5. Harley Wood 6. Kyle Ramage 7. Jake Gleeson 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Kelly Benson 10. Kieran Tarrant 11. Liam Donnelly 12. Scott Avery 13. Jacob Roby 14. Ethan Williams 15. Jayde Batchelor 16. Jake Harlen 17. Brendan Ratcliff
Coach: Ryan Gundry