Queensland Maroons team and new captain announced
The Queensland Rugby League has today confirmed the appointment of Greg Inglis as the new captain of the Queensland Maroons for the 2018 Holden State of Origin series.
Inglis assumes the leadership role from Cameron Smith, who announced his retirement from representative football earlier this month following 42 Origins for Queensland and 56 Test matches for Australia.
Previously of the Norths Devils in the Intrust Super Cup, Inglis has 30 Origin appearances to his name and a record 18 tries.
Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough has won the race for the vacant No 9 jersey, with the Dalby junior to start at hooker as one of three debutants in the Queensland line-up for the June 6 series opener at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Playing alongside McCullough for the first time at Origin level will be Felise Kaufusi (Melbourne Storm) and Jai Arrow (Gold Coast Titans).
QUEENSLAND MAROONS TEAM
Game I, 2018
Melbourne Cricket Ground
Wednesday, June 6
1. Billy SLATER - Melbourne Storm
2. Valentine HOLMES - Cronulla Sharks
3. Greg INGLIS (c) - South Sydney Rabbitohs
4. Will CHAMBERS - Melbourne Storm
5. Dane GAGAI - South Sydney Rabbitohs
6. Cameron MUNSTER - Melbourne Storm
7. Ben HUNT - St George Illawarra Dragons
8. Dylan NAPA - Sydney Roosters
9. Andrew McCULLOUGH - Brisbane Broncos
10. Jarrod WALLACE - Gold Coast Titans
11. Gavin COOPER - North Queensland Cowboys
12. Felise KAUFUSI - Melbourne Storm
13. Josh McGUIRE - Brisbane Broncos
14. Michael MORGAN - North Queensland Cowboys
15. Josh PAPALII - Canberra Raiders
16. Coen HESS - North Queensland Cowboys
17. Jai ARROW - Gold Coast Titans
Coach: Kevin Walters