You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Wynnum breaks drought at home v Jets

The sun wasn't shining but the Chook Pen was in full voice as the Wynnum Manly Seagulls recorded their first home win of the season against the Ipswich Jets.

Wynnum shot out to a lead and then held off a fast finishing Jets, who benefited from two tries from former Seagulls favourite Ben Shea.

The Jets had not played at BMD Kougari Oval since 2016 and they might not care if it takes a while to play there again.

Ipswich took the early settler when awarded a penalty and a 2-0 lead.

The Intrust Super Cup's leading try scorer Daniel Ogden scored his 149th try after a clever kick off the posts saw him grab the ball amongst the confusion and score next to the posts.

After 10 minutes the Seagulls were up 6-2.

It only took nine minutes for the Seagulls to again test the defence with Patrick Templeman winding the clock back to the 80's with a 20-meter 'Wally Lewis pass'.

Templeman sensed the Jets were compressed and unleashed a massive pass to an unmarked Edward Burns, who scrambled to the corner as the Jets cover defence converged.

After 20 minutes the Seagulls were in front 12-2.

There was no subtlety or guile about Til Vea's try, spotting a small gap and stretching it wider when he smashed through the Ipswich goal line defence.

The Chook Pen was loving the Seagulls' 18-2 lead after 30 minutes.

They were loving it even more when Delouise Hoeter scored in the right hand corner under a pile of desperate Jets.

With one minute to go until halftime it was Sam Caslick who placed a brilliant kick behind the line and the only person that seemed to anticipate the play was Wes Conlon, who touched down under the posts.

At halftime the Jets had salvaged something and were now behind 24-8.

Whatever was said to the Jets in the shed worked and, one minute into the half, Shea was on the end of a brilliant chain of passing from the far right to the far left, ending in Shea trouncing his way over several Seagulls to score.

At 24-12 the Jets had started the half exactly how they would have wanted.

The Jets then took the two points when it was offered via a penalty and that narrowed the gap to 24-14 with 29 minutes to go.

However, Templeman sliced through a gap as the Seagulls attacked the Ipswich line from an angled run, blowing the lead back out to 30-14.

Jets half Dane Phillips returned this week after being out last week and Caslick benefited from his return with a try off a neat kick.

It was now 30-20 with 15 minutes to go.

Shea landed his double and slammed the ball down in celebration to have the Jets ready for a big last five minutes at 30-24.

Yet, the Jets did not get another chance to attack the Seagulls and Wynnum came away with a 30-24 win at home.

The Jets will play the Hunters 7pm on Friday at North Ipswich Reserve, while the Seagulls will play the Pride at BMD Kougrai Oval at 7pm Saturday.

Final team lists and full scoring details available at QRL Live.

WYNNUM MANLY SEAGULLS 30 (Daniel Ogden, Edward Burns, Til Vea, Delouise Hoeter, Patrick Templeman tries; Patrick Templeman 5 goals) def IPSWICH JETS 24 (Ben Shea 2, Wes Conlon, Sam Caslick tries; Wes Conlon 4 goals) at BMD Kougari Oval.

Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners

View All Partners