Alfie statue for Suncorp Stadium confirmed
Queensland rugby league legend Allan 'Alfie' Langer will be honoured with a statue of his likeness to be erected outside Suncorp Stadium.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk officially announced the permanent tribute in the hours before Game III of the 2018 Holden State of Origin series.
It means Langer's statue will sit alongside those of fellow Maroons icons Wally Lewis, Arthur Beetson, Mal Meninga and Darren Lockyer at the hallowed precinct.
Langer, who played 34 Origins for Queensland and 24 Tests for Australia, remains an integral part of the Maroon spirit as a member of coach Kevin Walters' support staff.
Queensland Rugby League Managing Director Rob Moore said Langer was a fitting and popular choice for the honour.
"The QRL is fully supportive of a statue for 'Alfie' and we're only too pleased to see his contribution recognised in such a way," Moore said.
"He is a figure Queenslanders strongly relate to and his accomplishments and influence have extended well beyond what was an exemplary on-field career.
"Few people know this, but 'Alfie' is actually one of a very select band of players to be granted life membership of the QRL and that is indicative of the regard in which he is held."
Langer was captain of Queensland on five occasions and won four premierships with the Brisbane Broncos.
Born in Ipswich, he starred for the Ipswich Jets in the former Brisbane Rugby League competition and State League, the precursor to the current Intrust Super Cup.
Langer's accomplishments include:
• 34 State of Origin appearances for Queensland (3 Super League appearances)
• 24 Test matches for Australia (1 Super League international)
• 258 first grade games for Brisbane Broncos
• 55 first grade games for Warrington Wolves (England)
• Ron McAuliffe Medal 1992, 1996, 1998
• Dally M Player of the Year 1996
• Dally M Halfback of the Year 1988, 1994, 1996
• Dally M Representative Player of the Year 1991, 1998
• Clive Churchill Medal 1992
• Rothmans Medal 1992