Runaway Bay and Tigers fighting for a top three finish
With just two rounds remaining in the Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade regular season, the Runaway Bay Seagulls and Southport Tigers will be fighting it out for a top three finish in the highlighted game of Round 16.
As the competition tightens, the Runaway Bay Seagulls know every game from now counts towards the finals.
After suffering a tough 58-6 loss against Tweed in Round 14, Runaway Bay know they need to focus on the end game to stay within the top five.
"We had poor preparation against Tweed, but we are starting to get the results that we want, which is good leading into finals," Runaway Bay Seagulls coach Nick Gleeson said.
The Seagulls are hopeful to see representative centre Jamie Anderson return, but have unfortunately lost utility Steven Rooney for the remainder of the season.
"It is good we will see some players return this weekend, but it means we need to focus on working combinations again," Gleeson said.
The Seagulls are confident, but know the Tigers will be tough in the middle and are preparing for a physical match up.
The Southport Tigers are locked in a tough race to stay within the top five as Burleigh and Tugun are hot on their tail.
The Tigers, though, are building in confidence and strength leading into the business end of the season, following back-to-back wins against Ormeau and Bilambil.
"The biggest thing for us is getting some consistency not only on the field but off the field," Southport Tigers coach Mark Ross said.
It is great news for some players to be called up to Intrust Super Cup, however the Tigers side will see Naz Monsall and Corey Walker out this week with injury.
Ross hopes the team can focus on completing sets, sticking to the simple game plan and matching Runaway Bay's physicality.
At other grounds, a local derby will see the Currumbin Eagles take on the Tugun Seahawks, Tweed Heads host the Ormeau Shearers and down south the Bilambil Jets play the Burleigh Bears.
Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade Round 16
Currumbin Eagles v Tugun Seahawks at Galleon Way, Saturday August 11 – 3pm
1. Steve Eliott 2. Joel Rapana 3. Jakob Smith 4. Ken Allison 5. Kurt Perry 6. Hayden Allsop 7. Phil Ramage 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Josh Campbell 10. Pele Peletelese 11. Liam Donnelly 12. Zane Wilshire 13. Jake Gleeson 14. Paul Smith 15. Cooper Hennessey 16. Michael Tiopira 17. Ji Van Haarweerden
Coach: Ryan Gundry
1. Corey Morris 2. Nat Barnes 3. Savern Rapana 4. Kainoa Gudgeon 5. Jai Veli 6. Keanu Te Kiri 7. Zac Walsh 8. Bryce Thomas 9. Paul Sheedy 10. Anthony Gray 11. Nick Harrold 12. Rob Apanui 13. Ayden Lee 14. Jabe Gamble 15. Trent Smith 16. Shane Gillham 17. Mitch Willmot
Coach: Clint Barends
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Southport Tigers at Bycroft Oval, Saturday August 11 – 5pm
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. Jack Mackin 2. Harry Hill 3. Steve Tolo 4. Daniel Kelly 5. Jake Powell 6. Jimmy Poland 7. Conner Toia 8. Javarn Nofoagatotoa 9. Henry Chan-Ting 10. Jesse Malcolm 11. Dylan Pelo 12. Darcy Sims 13. Tane Rapira 14. Jenan Parrish 15. Kimihia Pakipaki-Hemopo
Coach: Nick Gleeson
1. Beau Cordtz 2. Carlo Alimboyong 3. Dallas Donnelly 4. Jonagh Gardiner 5. Kane Rudolph 6. Zoram Watene 7. Chris Thomas 8. Denzal Ngati 9. Jacob Pottinger 10. Nathan Young 11. Tu Whakatihi (c) 12. Simione Ata 13. Hala Masila 14. Zane Harris 15. Luke Ellis 16. Judaea Monsall 17. Bronston Kennach 18. Jack Conlan 19. Devon Toa 20. Doryaan Hape-Apiata
Coach: Mark Ross
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Ormeau Shearers at Piggabeen Sports, Sunday August 12 – 12.30pm
Tweed Heads Seagulls
1. Jayden Baker 2. Curtis Dansey-Smaller 3. Tony Matautia 4. Ethan Roberts 5. Macauley Dawson 6. Tre Williams 7. Bailey Gill 8. Mitch Sharp 9. Rex Johnson 10. Mick Grey 11. Reece Summer 12. Kirk Murphy 13. Kalani Going 14. Ethan Price 15. Rory Lillis 16. Harry Hughes 17. Jack Peacock
Coach: Kevin Campion
1. Shay Stevens 2. Dion Belford-Laulu 3. Hirini Robin 4. Jone Macilai 5. Aloesi Qio 6. Grayson Te Kiri 7. Nathan Wilson 8. Mohi Kendrick 9. Cody Evans 10. Jaymz Douglas-Webb 11. Vincent Mellar 12. Trent Shield 13. Shane Blow 14. Pheonix Su'a 15. Liam Hori Clark 16. Robert Parry 17. Maranatha Raeli AJ Raeli
Coach: Julius Kuresa
Bilambil Jets v Burleigh Bears at Bilambil Sports, Sunday August 12 – 2pm
1. Glenn McGrady 2. Jack Welsh 3. Matt O'Rourke 4. Kieron Roughley 5. Luke Jaegar 6. Carne Rhodes 8. Mitch Spackman 9. Hayden Tolland 10. Brendan Welsh 11. Drew McCullough 12. Bailey Crompton 13. Harrison Burling 14. Tom Plater 15. Josh Quinn 16. Chris Rigney 17. Will Malone
Coach: Craig Rowles
1. Jaxson Paulo 2. Mikey Williams 3. Justin Tavae 4. Reece Tapine 5. Te McDonald 6. Josh Rogers 7. Matt Egan 8. Kaleb Fuimaono 9. Zae Wallace 10. Tyler Sparkes 11. Darius Farmer 12. Api Noema 13. Tyler Szepanowski 14. Ben Valeni 15. Aaron Shelford 16. Marino Allen 17. Jerome Veve
Coach: Stuart Wilkins
|QTOP A Grade Ladder|
|1. Currumbin Eagles||37||+140|
|2. Tweed Heads Seagulls||35||+169|
|3. Runaway Bay Seagulls||34||+114|
|4. Southport Tigers||33||+10|
|5. Burleigh Bears||31||+56|
|6. Tugun Seahawks||31||+3|
|7. Bilambil Jets||21||-86|
|8. Ormeau Shearers||15||-446|