You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Falcons' prayers unanswered as Capras triumph

The 1mm window of opportunity that could have seen the Sunshine Coast Falcons reach the finals of the Intrust Super Cup has fully closed, following a 26-18 loss to the Central Queensland Capras.

The Falcons needed to win their last two games and have eight other results fall in their favour to scrape into the 2018 post-season.

For updated ladder click here.

Yet, in the same hour that Norths lost to last-placed Mackay to give the Falcons a genuine shot, the Sunny Coast side could not secure the one result that was under their control.

After a week in which it was formally announced that coach Craig Ingebrigtsen would leave the Falcons, the club went to Gladstone without captain Dane Hogan and key players Harry Grant, Ryley Jacks and Justin Olam.

The Capras led from start to finish following a try to skipper Jack Madden in just the 3rd minute, putting the result to bed courtesy of a double to Chanel Seigafo.

At the back end of the game the Falcons moved to 20-18 behind and the 2017 grand finalists looked every chance of finishing stronger as the Capras surrendered plenty of territory.

However, dropped ball and some scrappy play prohibited the Falcons from making good on the threat, before Seigafo iced the result in the 76th minute.

With one more game to go, the Capras are destined to end the year with quite the respectable home record, despite being second-last on the ladder.

The win against the Sunshine Coast moves their home record to 6 wins, 4 losses (featuring several matches in wider CQ outside Rockhampton) while their away record is a lamentable 0 wins, 12 losses.

Next week the Capras host the PNG Hunters, while the Falcons are away to Redcliffe.

For full scoring details and final team lists from Round 23, visit QRL Live.

CQ CAPRAS 26 (Chanel Seigafo 2, Jack Madden, Blake Goodman, Jerry Key tries; Connor Broadhurst 3 goals) def SUNSHINE COAST FALCONS 18 (Iliesa Ratuva 2, Jye Ballinger, Thomas Eisenhuth tries; Matt Soper-Lawler goal) at Marley Brown Oval.