The QCCS Mackay Cutters have announced their five leaders who have been appointed in the new coaching structure in 2019.
The new structure includes the Intrust Super Cup level as well as development and pathways for all Cutters squads through to the Academy.
Led by Director of Football Grant Rovelli, the Cutters enter into an exciting new phase with the introduction of a part-time coach for the Under 20s competition, previously a volunteer role.
The revised structure will include:
• the appointment of Grant Rovelli to the new role of Director of Football;
• the appointment of Scott Thorburn as the Coaching Director - Development & Pathways
• Steve Sheppard remaining in the role of Head Coach
• Michael Comerford will assume the new role as a part-time coach for the Under 20s (previously a volunteer position)
• Tom Heggie will take over the position of Under 18 coach, previously overseen by Grant Rovelli
• Alex Kertesz will remain in the role of Head of Performance covering all squads.
All have been heavily involved with the Mackay Cutters since inception and rugby league in general for many decades and will bring their hard-working determination and working ethic that they had as players.
Mackay Cutters CEO Troy Rovelli said the move would provide a new perspective to the coaching structure and was designed to improve performance, retention and pathways from the Academy level through to NRL.
“This is a different structure for the coaching group from what we have ever had before and in 2019 we will put a strong focus on development and leadership of both our players and our staff,” Rovelli said.
“This new structure brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the club and it is what our team needs to develop and succeed and ultimately get us to the top of the ladder.
“We will continue to strengthen our relationship with all NRL clubs and in particular the Cowboys to which we are a feeder club.”
The new structure is effective immediately with Comerford and Heggie beginning their new roles on October 1 for the 2019 season.
Photo: Grant Rovelli plays for the Cutters in 2011