Ben Barba in action for St Helens.

The door has been closed on any attempt by Ben Barba to return to Super League, with British officials announcing the 2018 Man of Steel would not be allowed back if he is banned by the NRL.

Barba, who left St Helens after one season in a bid to resurrect his troubled NRL career, was sacked by North Queensland last Friday without playing a game for the club.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said Barba would not be permitted to join another club if CCTV footage proves allegations he physically assaulted his partner, Ainslie Currie, at a Townsville casino on Australia Day.

The RFL is also set to block his return to Super League, where Barba played after being forced out of the NRL in 2016 following a second illicit drugs strike at Cronulla.

It had been widely anticipated the 29-year-old fullback would again look to turn to Super League if he was banned from playing in the NRL.

"We will always uphold any ban imposed by the NRL under a reciprocal agreement between RFL and the NRL," a RFL statement said .

"Independent to that arrangement, the RFL Board has the right to refuse registration to any player - and would also consult with the Super League in that process.

"We are bound to follow that process - but if the facts of this case turn out to be as reported, the RFL would condemn them as deplorable."

The RFL statement leaves Barba with few options after Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle confirmed any ban enforced by the NRL would also be honoured by her organisation.

Asked on Saturday whether Greenberg would request a similar stance be taken by Barba's other potential remaining career path, rugby union, Greenberg said: "I won't reach out to other codes, what other codes do is a business for them".

However, Castle said there would be no lifeline for Barba in Australian rugby union, forcing him overseas if he was to switch codes.

"In relation to players who have received bans from one sport, there is an etiquette agreement that you can't then just go from rugby league to rugby union and play the next week," Castle told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"I would expect anything in relation to a situation like that, that would stand, because when you're talking about issues at that level, we need to make sure the codes are supporting each other on that."

Barba's behaviour and the spate of off-season incidents will be discussed at a meeting of the ARL Commission in Sydney on Wednesday.

While the main agenda item is the approval of the game's finances ahead of the ARLC's AGM on February 28, chairman Peter Beattie said on Twitter that off-field behaviour would be a major topic of discussion.

"Yes it is always a key agenda item. It was in December and will be in February. That is a given every time we meet," Beattie said.