Bulldogs recruit Dylan Napa has spoken for the first time since lewd video footage of him was circulated on social media last month.
Canterbury held a club media day at their Belmore headquarters on Wednesday where Napa fronted up to face a barrage of questions surrounding the off-field videos which have left his immediate playing future in doubt.
Napa is facing the possibility of suspension for the start of the season for bringing the game into disrepute after indications from NRL CEO Todd Greenberg at a media conference on Tuesday.
Napa said there had been "some dark days" since the footage was circulated and he felt embarrassed by the controversy it had created for himself and his new club.
"It wasn't the ideal start to 2019 – or any year when it comes to that – but I'm lucky to have a lot of support from my family and my Bulldogs family here," Napa said.
"There have been some tough days but it is what it is. There were some dark days."
Napa was reluctant to go into detail the severity of the incidents due to pending investigations with the NSW police and NRL, but wanted to turn his actions into a positive by helping younger players in the game be aware of the risks with filming and social media.
"I don't want to sound like I'm repeating myself but it's still under investigation by the NRL so I can't say much," Napa said.
"Coming to the Bulldogs I wanted to come here and be a role model for the young members of the squad here. It obviously didn't go to plan, but what can I do?
"I'm looking to put it all behind me and put all my energy into my football. It's not the ideal situation but if it helps another of the boys, or any guy playing professional sport, to not make the same mistake then that's one positive."
Napa joined the Bulldogs in December as the club's replacement for the Newcastle-bound David Klemmer. He conceded the footage, which had gone viral, had taken a toll on his family.
He wanted the NRL Integrity Unit to wrap up its investigation as soon as possible for all parties concerned.
"It's just unnecessary stress around the club which was un-needed (sic) so it sucks," Napa said.
"I've got a 92-year-old grandmother and one-year old niece so I have good women in my life. My mum has my back a hundred per cent too which I’m grateful for.
"Obviously it sucks and I wish it wasn't me but I'm going to use all my focus and energy on my football."
Napa remained tight-lipped on whether he planned to press charges against those who initially passed on footage of him performing the explicit acts, and didn't deny the possibility of more footage being leaked.
"Nothing surprises me now, everything's out there so whatever, I don't know," he said of any further footage that could surface.
"I don't know."