Anthony Seibold insists veteran forward Alex Glenn will remain a Bronco for the 2019 season and has left the door open for the off-contract Kiwi international to earn a new deal with the club.
Glenn has played 240 games for the Broncos and has been held in high esteem by Brisbane ever since he captained their under 20s in 2007.
He has previously told NRL.com of his goal to join Darren Lockyer, Sam Thaiday and Corey Parker as 300-gamers at the club, a scenario that can only be achieved with a contract extension.
Glenn earlier told News Corp and Triple M of Seibold’s approach to him on Tuesday to assure him the club was not shopping him around after a report suggested that was the case.
Playing into the Glenn situation is other clubs have put out feelers to his management to find out if he is available before the June 30 cut-off.
Glenn, Matt Gillett, Andrew McCullough and captain Darius Boyd are part of the club’s leadership group. Seibold said on Wednesday that Glenn "wouldn't be in our leadership group and our starting back-rower if we were trying to shop him around".
Fans encouraged to name new women's medal
"If a club shops someone around or talks to players, it's generally to do with the salary cap. I'm not sure what benefit we would get by doing that as Alex is off contract at the end of the year," Seibold said.
"I wanted to make sure he understood where we are at. I said 'Alex you wouldn't be in the leadership group and a starting left-edge back-rower if we didn't see you adding value to the place'. He understood that straight away.
"I wanted to shut that one down. He is a great professional and it's never nice to hear that any club is shopping you around and that is certainly not the case. My understanding is there has been some interest in Alex but I don't want him to go anywhere."
As for Glenn’s future beyond this year, Seibold said that discussion was yet to take place. Tevita Pangai jnr and Joe Ofahengaue are off contract, as is left winger Corey Oates. The Broncos have extended the tenure of several of their gun forwards last year including Pat Carrigan, Payne Haas and Jaydn Su’A.
"We have put talks on hold at the moment," Seibold said when asked if the club could also fit Glenn in beyond 2019.
"I've only been here for a short period of time so we haven't had any recruitment and retention meetings since Christmas. That will happen in the next few weeks. We will have a look at where we are at. We have a number of young forwards who are coming off contract who we want to extend so we’ll have to have a look at that.
"Alex has played over 200 games, he has played a grand final and Test match football. We have four guys in our leadership group who have played a lot of football and representative football and had success. It's important they are around the group as active role models with their actions and how they do things."
The Broncos are aware the in-form Pangai is set to receive huge offers from other clubs and keeping him on their books will be a juggling act.
As to whether keeping him at the club long-term was a priority, Seibold said "obviously, if Tevita continues to play like he did [against the Cowboys]".
Round 3: Trbojevic, Cronk named to return
Seibold said Pangai’s priority was making sure he backed that up against the Dragons at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday night.
"We want to keep him. The challenge for all our young forwards is to build that consistency," Seibold said.
"It is a big challenge coming up against James Graham, Tariq Sims, Korbin Sims and the group the Dragons have got there, and Paul Vaughan who is a rep player as well. It is just about him resetting and diving into his next job rather than looking too much at long term."