You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Tigers win fiery clash with Magpies

Easts Tigers came out against Souths Logan Magpies tonight with a point to prove, after losing to Sunshine Coast Falcons in a top-of-the-table clash in Round 6.

Tigers kept the pressure on for the entire game, crossing the try line five times before the final siren rang out.

Tigers coach Scott Sipple said "overall it was a good team effort". 

“We let a few late tries in in the second half, but I thought it was a pretty good performance overall,” Sipple said.

“It’s all about getting the two points, and we did that, so now we can all enjoy our Easter."

Sipple said it was good to get the win after their first loss of the season against Falcons in Round 6.

“It was a disappointing performance last week; we didn’t really show up and match the Falcons’ intensity, but tonight I thought we did that," Sipple said, adding he was impressed with Kelma Tuilagi, who came off the bench for the Tigers.

Kelma Tuilagi subbing on. Photo: QRL Media
Kelma Tuilagi subbing on. Photo: QRL Media

“I thought he changed the tempo of the game – he was very strong with his runs and with the intensity of his tackles... he changed the whole tempo, and that’s when we got some points."

Sipple also commended Jaiyden Hunt, who debuted for the Tigers, for a good first hit out. 

“He’s a local kid who has come through our St Brendan’s club," Sipple said.

“He’s a big lad and he probably struggled with the pace of it, but he’ll learn from that and he’ll get more games this year; he’s a development player who we’ll hopefully progress over the next 12 months.

“It was a good first stint for him."

Magpies’ Mitchell Frei was first to score eight minutes in; and Guy Hamilton missed the conversion.

Tigers’ Tuilagi was next to cross the white line; and Aaron Booth missed the conversion, putting the score at 4-4.

Tigers crossed twice more before half time; Tyrone Amey and Tom Hughes both crossed and Booth converted both to take the half time score to 16-4.

Hughes crossed for his second try just after half time and Booth again converted; Tuilagi then crossed for his second try and Booth converted to take the score to 28-4.

An impressive cross field kick saw the Magpies’ Linc Port cross for four points with 20 minutes to go, and Hamilton converted, to take the score to 28-10.

Alex Bishop crossed minutes later, and Hamilton again converted, to close the gap to 28-16; Magpies did not take the foot off the accelerator, with Cameron Booth then crossing.

Hamilton failed to convert the Magpies' fourth try; and the score sat at 28-20 with 12 minutes to go.

The intensity of the game picked up significantly as both teams fought to win the two points.

Despite every effort from the Magpies, the Tigers finished 28-20 victors.

Sipple said "overall we got the job done, but we still have a lot of work to do". 

Tigers will face Redcliffe Dolphins in Round 8.

Magpies will take on Wynnum Manly Seagulls.



Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners