You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Jets deny Hunters second win of the season

Peter Gubb and Rogan Dean were the Ipswich Jets' Maverick and Iceman today, and coaches Ben and Shane Walker might be saying you can be my wing man any time.

The Jets trekked to the home of the PNG Hunters with a winless record; after five losses since 2014 and down on troops, the Jets faced a huge task to create their own history.

The Jets’ wingers scored three tries between them to get the Jets their first ever win in Papua New Guinea. 

It was a remarkable comeback for Dean, who has not played Intrust Super Cup since the last round of 2016.

On debut for the Jets, it was his 54th Intrust Super Cup game after stints at Wynnum Manly Seagulls and Norths Devils.

Blake Lenehan debuted for the Jets off the bench after playing Cyril Connell Cup, Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup and Hastings Deering Colts for the club.

Dean was cool as ice and got the Jets off to a great start with his 29th try in the Intrust Super Cup in the ninth minute after a chain of passing; the Jets came left and Chris Ash found his outside man.

It was Jets 6-0 after Josh Cleeland converted.

The Hunters were straight back when Brendon Nima took advantage of some space created to go over for his first try in the Intrust Super Cup.

It was 22 minutes in when the Jets' Josh Seage, playing his 59th game for the club, scored try number seven for the Jets.

The visitors were awarded a penalty, spreading the ball right to Rory Humphreys who ran back to the left fending and weaving his way through the Hunters; from the tackle, Seage ran the hole and Jets had their second try.

Cleeland again added two points and the Jets led 12-4 after 25 minutes.

Gubb would start and end the next movement that went the length of the field; the Jets were working their way up the field when Jayden Connors chipped and chased, re-gathered the ball and found his winger in support.

The Jets went to half time leading 16-4.

View this post on Instagram

Half time score, the Hunters trail behind the Ipswich Jets 4-16. Let's get behind the boys to lift in the 2nd half! #huntwantaim #colourrush2019 #intrustsupercup #pnghuntersofficial

A post shared by SP PNG HUNTERS (@pnghuntersofficial) on

Four minutes into the second half, Cleeland consolidated the Jets' position with a penalty goal and an 18-4 lead.

It would take eight minutes into the half before Gubb would be requesting a fly by again and granted try number two.

Gubb stayed out on his wing and the ball came to him with some great lead-up work by his inside men; the Jets led 22-4 after 50 minutes.

Woods Kawage scored a try for the Hunters after the Jets dropped the kick off; the Hunters were able to exploit the Jets' middle defence with straight running next to the posts.

The Jets were not done yet and had their first win in Papua New Guinea after Connors pounced on a Cleeland short kick that ricocheted off a Hunter and he was there to ground the ball and the result.

Match: Hunters v Jets

Round 7 -

Full Time

Home Team


Scored 10 points

Away Team


Scored 28 points

Venue: Oil Search National Football Stadium, Port Moresby

Jets will face Tweed Seagulls in Round 8. 

Hunters will take on Burleigh Bears on Anzac Day.