Second place is on the line when Tugun travels to Southport to take on the Tigers this Sunday in Round 13 of the Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade competition.
The Seahawks have rocketed up the ladder to third with four consecutive wins including a 32-0 shutout of the Bilambil Jets last week.
In addition to winning big; they have navigated close wins over the likes of Currumbin and Runaway Bay, and are the only team in the competition to take a point off the Burleigh Bears thanks to their Round 7 draw.
Prior to this run of wins, the Seahawks had only won once in their first five games, and coach Clint Barends said that more commitment and better completion rates have been the main factor behind their charge up the ladder.
“We have good talent in the team. If we control the ball, we can win,” he said.
“Our results are from controlling the footy and working on combinations.
“We need to put in good performances, keep the completion rate up and stay fit.
"The players will tell you; every game is tough. We don’t look at any game as easy.”
Ironically, Tugun’s last defeat came back in Round 6 at the hands of Southport with the Tigers posting a comfortable 42-20 win.
Southport still sit in second place on the ladder despite suffering a defeat last weekend at the hands of Burleigh, their second loss in their last three outings.
Tigers coach Steve Dowd said they struggled to keep up with Burleigh in the second half last week, but is confident they can bounce back especially given the long-standing rivalry with Tugun.
“Tugun v Southport is always a good contest – we are ready to play,” said Dowd.
“Winner takes second place and we are up for the contest.
“With nine rounds left, that’s 27 points up for grabs.
"We need to keep improving each week and be the hardest running and hardest tackling team.”
The highly-anticipated matchup takes pace this Sunday afternoon at Owen Park from 2pm.
The game will be live-streamed on the Rugby League Gold Coast Facebook page.
Other Round 13 clashes see Ormeau host Burleigh and Bilambil taking on Runaway Bay. Currumbin have the bye.
* Main image courtesy of the Gold Coast Bulletin
Round 13 team lists
Ormeau Shearers v Burleigh Bears
6pm Saturday, June 22 at Brien Harris Oval
1. Tye Barry 2. Jayden Alaiasa-Heu 3. Josh Walker 4. Jay Melrose 5. Liam Hori-Clark 6. Leighmon Hohaia Katene 7. Grayson Te Kiri 8. Anthony Gray 9. Blake Midson 10. Timothy Wolens 11. Caleb Pirini 12. Jesse Malcolm 13. Parahi Wilson 14. Chase Kereama-Williams 15. Martin Burkhardt 16. Dion Belford-Laulu 17. Diaz Sharrock
Coach: Julius Kuresa
1. Taine Tuaupiki 2. Regan Muir Ogle 3. Tyronne Roberts-Davis 4. Josh Berkers 5. Reece Tapine 6. Shallin Fuller 7. Matt Egan 8. Josh Ailaomai 9. Jordan Scott 10. Ben Valeni 11. Brett Stratton 12. Api Noema 13. TBA 14. Tanah Boyd 15. Lochlyn Sheldon 16. Luke Maiden 17. TBA
Coach: Matt Foster
Bilambil Jets v Runaway Bay Seagulls
2pm Sunday, June 23 at Bilambil Sports
1. Carne Rhodes 2. Sam Plater 3. Max Campion 4. Luke Jaeger 5. Liam Mackle 6. Tom Plater 7. Rex Johnson 8. Will McCullough 9. Tom Rowles 10. Mitch Spackman 11. Tyson Donnelly 12. Drew McCullough 13. Tom Raftery 14. PJ Tevaga 15. Brendon Welsh 16. Josh Quinn
Coach: Kevin Campion
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. John Mackin 2. Harry Hill 3. Ben Fritz 4. Dylan Pelo 5. Jake Powell 6. James Poland 7 Jaylan To'o 8. Doryaan Hape-Apiata 9. Jenan Wedderburn-Parrish 10. Kimihia Pakipaki-Hemopo 11. Darcy Sims 12. Taylor Daniels 13. Taniela Palavi 14. Jack Doran 15. Adyn Anguna 16. Luke Mastroianni 17. Daniel Hayes
Coach: Nick Gleeson
Southport Tigers v Tugun Seahawks
2pm Sunday June 23, at Owen Park
1. Barry Rutley 2. Dexter Moroney 3. Tevita Folau 4. Simione Ata 5. Jack Conlan 6. Zac Walsh 7. Drumayne Dayberg-Muir 8. Luke Polson 9. Jacob Pottinger 10. Nathan Young 11. Tu Whakathi-Paikea 12. Jaleel Seve-Derbas 13. Damian Mills 14. Zoram Watene 15. Naz Monsall 16. Corey Walker 17. Carlo Alimboyong
Coach: Steve Dowd
1. Corey Morris 2. Samiu Latu 3. Kody Parsons 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Jai Velli 6. Jacob Grant 7. Sam Meskell 8. Josh Harvey 9. Will Johnstone 10. Nick Harrold 11. Ethan Roberts 12. Levi Norton 13. Issac Worboys 14. Rory Lillis 15. Blake Zillman 16. TBA 17. TBA
Coach: Clint Barends
Bye – Currumbin
|5||Runaway Bay Seagulls||3||24|