You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Dolphins keep Tigers scoreless in big win

While the NRL were celebrating everything 1970s in the retro round, two of the Brisbane's rugby league heavyweights from that time - the Redcliffe Dolphins and Easts Tigers - were doing battle at Dolphin Stadium.

The Dolphins were in fine form against the Tigers, winning 43-0 in the Round 20 clash.

In a performance Dolphins coach Adam Mogg described as “a very good team performance with no standouts”, his Dolphins led 16-0 at halftime and kept the Tigers scoreless until fulltime. 

Mogg was impressed with his team's attitude.

"We had a tough physical game against Burleigh and a short turn around, for Cup, so to come out and play like this was fantastic," Mogg said. 

The Dolphins went into the game without Josh Beehag and Harry Smith from last week's victory over the Burleigh Bears, but were buoyed with the inclusion of Brisbane Broncos young gun Cory Paix.

After feeling each other out in the opening 10 minutes, it was the Dolphins who opened the scoring when second rower Brayden Dee ran a good line off a Bryce Donovan pass to open the scoring.

By midway through the first half, the Dolphins had increased their lead to 12-0 after skipper Aaron Whitchurch crossed after clever lead up work by Tyson Gamble.

The Dolphins crossed again 10 minutes later when they targeted the Tigers' right side defence and Dee was too strong for the Tigers defender one-on-one.

After having most of the ball and field position, the Dolphins went to the break with a more than handy 16-0 lead.

Tigers coach Scott Sipple would be have been telling his side at the break to be patient, their time would come when the tide of possession turned, and after several mistakes in good ball in the first half, the Tigers would need to convert those opportunities into points.

The Dolphins started the second half in fine form as Jeremy Hawkins crossed after clever movement through the hands.

The Tigers were ruing their handling errors.

On the back of a restart, and with the Dolphins attacking, fullback Trai Fuller crossed for the Dolphins as they extended their lead to 26-0.

The Dolphins' next try came in the back of a clever in-and-away from Izaia Perese, who put Justice Utatao away in the corner.

The Tigers had no answer for the Dolphins as Jordan Grant strolled through the middle of the ruck to score and with Gamble’s conversion the Dolphins led 36-0.

A field goal to Gamble then gave the Dolphins a 37-0 lead. 

Perese's 'never say die' attitude came to the fore when he followed a chip kick through and regathered to score for the Dolphins to advance to a 43-0 lead.

When things aren’t going your way, nothing you can do seems to come off - and that was the story for the Tigers tonight.

Best for the Dolphins were Jordan Grant, Sheldon Pitama and Jamil Hopoate; Tyson Gamble, Trai Fuller, Aaron Whitchurch and winger Jedidiah Simbiken were also outstanding. 

For the second week in a row, the Tigers failed to score a try, with their aggregate score from the last two games being 61- 2.

Key areas of improvement for the Tigers are, obviously, defence and penetration from the forwards.

The Redcliffe defence was very strong all game and was rarely tested by the Tigers. Emerging from halftime, the Tigers seemed to have no energy, they only threatened the Dolphins line twice and resolute defence and Tigers errors saw both opportunities quashed.

Dolphins will face Central Queensland Capras in Round 21.

The Tigers will play the Tweed Seagulls.