You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Tweed record important win after grounding Jets

Tweed brought finals football resilience and intensity to the North Ipswich Reserve and came out on top in this game of winner survives for 2019.

The Jets had one tackle in the first 10 minutes while Tweed enjoyed a gluttony of possession and after five sets in a row, Seagull Lee Turner found his way over on the left-hand side of the field to score second try this season.

At the start the match, Marmin Barba needed 33 points to become the highest points scorer in Jets history and he took four off that total when he scored their first try.

Nemani Valekapa went across the field and found his skipper Nat Neale who busted the Gulls. The Jets went to the left and Mitch Carpenter offloaded to Barba to score.

Barba converted and the Jets were back at 6-6 after 17 minutes.

It was like your favourite band back together when Valekapa and Barba combined on the Jets left where the “Fijian Ferrari” flicked the ball on for Barba to score his second try of the day.

Barba converted and the Jets led 12-6 after 24 minutes.

However, it only took seven minutes for Tweed to strike back and score from a kick, with Turner pouncing on the ball to get his second try to bring the visitors closer 12-10.

Both teams were keen to get to halftime without any more damage, however Tweed’s Jack Cook was keen to plate up back-to-back tries for the Seagulls and he did so by following the inside ball from half Ash Taylor which sent him through to score to give the Seagulls a 16-12 lead at halftime.

The second half started with Josh Cleeland showing all his footwork and evasive skills when he stepped through the Tweed defence to score and give the Jets the start they were craving; giving his side the lead back 18-16 after 45 minutes.

However, the Seagulls had another come back in them and Ioane Seiuli scored his fifth try in 2019 when he followed the short kick and got the positive result for his efforts.

With 25 minutes to go, Tweed had the lead back 22-18.

The Jets kept coming at the Seagulls and Ben White was held up with 12 minutes to go – the set continued, but the Jets were turned away by the Tweed again.

Then, after receiving a seven-tackle set after a knock on, the Jets charged up the field and on the back of a Barba run, the Jets attacked right, but desperate defence from Lamar Liolevave saved a try for the Seagulls.

One set later, the Jets threw a whole set at the Tweed – including the Ipswich’s Optimus Prime Rogan Dean – but again they were turned away.

The Jets rolled it in to the in-goal, but Tweed fullback Lindon McGrady got back into the field and was given a penalty to relieve some pressure.

The Tweed Seagulls soaked up more pressure and turned the Jets away to hold on to claim the important 22-18 result.

Next weekend, the Seagulls will host the Easts Tigers.

The Jets will be at home to the Souths Logan Magpies.

Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners

View All Partners