You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Broncos will consider making Smith an offer: Seibold

Anthony Seibold has confirmed the Broncos would consider making off-contract Cameron Smith an offer to finish his career at the Broncos in the wake of losing David Fifita to the Titans.

Fifita’s exit will free up around $2.5 million that had been put aside for him over the next three years but Seibold said that did not mean the club had a "bucket load of money" at its disposal.

Smith wanted to be a Bronco as a youth and with Wests Tigers rake Harry Grant set to return to the Storm next year the Brisbane coach is keeping all options open as the club looks to the future in the midst of what has been a dire season.

Seibold, who worked with Smith as an assistant coach at the Storm and with the Maroons, made a poignant response when asked whether the Broncos would consider a one year-offer for the 37-year-old Storm maestro.

"Of course, it is something we would consider but it is a really long bow. Would he add something to us? Could he add something to us? Of course he could," Seibold said.

Seibold disappointed to lose Fifita

"I worked with Smithy for five years at club level and rep level so I do have a really good working relationship with him. It is not something I have spoken to Cameron about or he has spoken to me about.

"A little bit of experience would be something to add to the group, going forward. I am not sure how long he wants to play for but Cameron would add not only experience but leadership and quality on and off the field to any organisation or any team… but I would assume that Cameron would finish his career at the Melbourne Storm."

Indigenous stars raise their voice

Storm chairman Matt Tripp said on SEN Radio that the club was hopeful of Smith having an off-field role with them next year if he wasn't lining up for the team.

"This is absolute news to me. We know nothing about that," he said when asked about Brisbane potentially trying to sign Smith.

"Cameron is contracted until the end of the year. At some point in the next month or so we will attempt to either renegotiate a contract for Cameron as a player or we will try and arrange something for him whereby he will remain committed and part of the Melbourne Storm in some capacity for hopefully many years to come."

Seibold said a tailored recruitment strategy would need to be in place when asked if the Broncos should "aim for the stars" and target players of Smith's ilk.

"It is an interesting question but everyone is guided by the salary cap.

"We only got told that David was going on the weekend so our whole focus has been on the Cronulla Sharks [on Friday night]," Seibold said.

"If there is an opportunity to bring in a player it has to be the right player for the right reasons. David leaving doesn’t mean we have a bucket load of money."

That bucket will not include funds from a mooted Anthony Milford switch to another club for 2021. It has been reported the Broncos want to move Milford on for the final year of his contract.

"I have never had any discussions in and around that space so I am not sure where that has come from. Milf has taken up his option for next year and for me that was the end of it," Seibold said.

"There have been no discussions from myself or anyone internally that I have been a part of.

"As far as getting the best out of Milf he is a player with immense potential and I always feel as though he is unfairly criticised at times but I suppose that comes from being a marquee player at our club. I understand where that scrutiny comes from. I enjoy working with Milly."

Broncos Boyd by Darius' return to fullback

Seibold said he understood Fifita's decision to join the Gold Coast.

"We know the amount of money was significant, he is now the highest-paid player in the game, going forward," Seibold said.

"There is an opportunity for himself to set himself up financially and we respect any decision that any staff member makes in any walk of life.

"We have a good working relationship. He has a lot of strong friendship groups here. It's a once-in-a-lifetime choice for David and I'm sure it was a tough decision, but we respect it and we have to move forward.

"We gave our best offer to David, it was the best we could do. He is determined to finish his time at the club in a positive manner."

The Broncos are yet to decide whether they will target another star back-rower.

"We have a recruitment and retention committee and we've already had some discussions and we will have further discussions on what we need," Seibold said.

"Do we need another back-rower? We need to have a think about that or do we go with what we've got. We have some really good young back-rowers in Jordan Riki and Brendan Piakura coming through to add to Tevita [Pangai jnr] and Alex Glenn. We aren't in a rush."