Having had a bye in Round 1 of the QTOP A Grade Cup last week, the Currumbin Eagles will look to get their season off to a winning start when they host reigning premiers Burleigh Bears at Galleon Way this Sunday.
Having reached the preliminary final last year, Currumbin will be looking to go one step further in 2020, but will face a tough Bears outfit who defeated Southport 32-4 in the grand final rematch last week.
Having won a premiership with Tugun in the 2016 A-Grade season, Martin Griese has taken the reins of the Eagles this season and is confident his side has what it takes to come away with the two points.
“We have a really good squad in 2020, our halves are smart and firing and our forward pack is strong and fast,” Griese said.
“Burleigh are well-drilled and fit, so our completion rate will need to be high."
Having been the assistant A Grade coach for the past two seasons, Griese said he was excited to see his side back playing footy and hopes the club can continue to build on the success of previous seasons.
“We hope to continue to work on being a strong club across all three grades moving forward into the future,” said Griese.
“We are excited to be back playing football as a club and will put our best foot forward.”
After running out convincing winners in their clash against the Tigers last week, Burleigh coach Matt Foster said he hopes to see his side bring the same energy and enthusiasm into this week’s clash against Currumbin.
“The best thing about last week was the effort and energy," the Bears coach said.
"The team were urgent in everything they did and that paid dividends.
"We need to make sure we are organised in defence against Currumbin."
Burleigh is expected to make several changes to the side that ran out victors last week, highlighting the importance of player rotation during what is a shortened season.
“We will be making six changes... it is part of giving everyone an opportunity to play in this shortened season," Foster said.
“Two of the changes are forced; Dylan Kelly is out for the remainder of the season with a broken arm and we are still waiting to hear the verdict for Jayden Sharp’s foot injury."
Foster said he is preparing his side for a tough and physical contest against a well-drilled Currumbin outfit, as Burleigh will look to make it back-to-back wins to start their 2020 campaign.
“I have a lot of respect for him [Martin Greise]," the Burleigh coach said.
"Last time he was head coach, he won the competition.
"He will have a team that is ready to play a very physical game of rugby league.
“I am expecting a physical team that takes no nonsense.”
The clash will be RLGC's match of the round and broadcast live on the Rugby League Gold Coast Facebook page from 3.45pm.
QTOP A Grade Cup Round 2 fixtures
|3pm Sunday, August 9||Ormeau Shearers v Runaway Bay Seagulls||Brien Harris Oval, Ormeau|
|3pm Sunday, August 9||Mudgeeraba Redbacks v Tugun Seahawks||Firth Park, Mudgeeraba|
|3pm Sunday, August 9||Currumbin Eagles v Burleigh Bears||Galleon Way, Currumbin|
QTOP A Grade Cup Round 2 teams
Ormeau Shearers v Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. Kurtis Rowe 2. Ono So'Oialo 3. Brogan Melrose 4. Shay Stevens 5. Jalen Tangiiti-Turner 6. Haydyn O'Hara 7. Conner Toia 8. Anthony Gray 9. Craig Chapman 10. Andrew Petaia 11. Stepharn Holo 12. Graham Hohapata 13. Albert Junior Ma Chong 14. Jay Melrose 15. Izayah Nuku 16. Mauiuia Poe
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. John Mackin 2. Mitchell Whitton 3. Jaylan To’o 4. Jordan Menzies 5. Jake Powell 6. Brodie Christopherson 7. Guy Hamilton 10. Harrison Muller 9. Jenan Wedderburn-Parrish 11. Darcy Sims 13. Carsil Vaikai 14. Frederick Doulis-Quadroy 15. Jamie Anderson 17. Declan Booth 14. Codey McLaughlin 19. Doryaan Hape Apiata 20. Harry Hill
Mudgeeraba Redbacks v Tugun Seahawks
19. Joshua Hall 18. Benjamin Senior 2. Henry Garrett 4. Nathan Schwass 5. Joshua Bukowski 6. William Brimson 7. Kyle Williams 10. Jesse Malcolm 9. Marino Allen 12. Jack Glossop 11. Parahi Wilson 20. Harrison Hughes 13. Brent Woolf 16. Ricardo Parata 1. Steven Rooney 14. Jake McGarry 21. Jack Jeffress
1. Corey Morris 2. Jack Smith 3. James Toole 4. Alexander Grant 5. Jai Veli 6. Jacob Grant 7. Michael Burgess 8. Andrew Bracek 9. William Johnstone 10. Joshua Harvey 11. Robert Apanui 12. Levi Norton 13. Samuel Meskell 14. Nathaniel Swain 15. Solomon Torrens 18. Joshua Bainbridge
Currumbin Eagles v Burleigh Bears
1. Lachlan Smith 2. Joshua Walker 3. Jamie Dowling 4. Benjamin Willetts 5. Jakob Smith 6. Talor Walters 7. Luke Jurd 8. Stuart Mason 9. William Ramsey 10. Harrison Wecker 11. Ayden Lee 12. Jake Gleeson 13. Jarrod Gill 14. Cole Geyer 15. Ji Van Heerwaarden 16. Pele Peletelese 17. Brayden Gallagher
1. Dallas Wells 2. William Evans 3. Taine Tuaupiki 4. Regan Ogle 5. Alofana Khan-Periera 6. Shallin Fuller 7. Joshua Rogers 8. Tyler Szepanowski 9. Jordan Scott 10. Lochlyn Sheldon 11. Brett Stratton 12. Tristan Powell 13. Reece Summer 14. Reece McKenzie-O'Brien 15. George House 16. Andrew Scougall 17. Ben Valeni