The rivalry between Runaway Bay and Southport will kick up a notch during Round 4 of the QTOP A Grade competition this weekend, with both teams set to battle it out for the prestigious Bycroft Cup.
Having enjoyed a bye last week, the Seagulls will be refreshed and ready to do battle at home, as they look to seek revenge against a Southport side that has taken out the Cup the last two seasons.
With the Tigers running out 38-10 winners against Mudgeeraba last weekend, Runaway Bay coach Nick Gleeson believes the clash will prove a good test for his young side.
“It is good for our players to be playing the top sides to see the standard – we need to make sure we turn up to play,” Gleeson said.
In a shortened season where every win is crucial, he hopes his side can come out firing on all cylinders after a much-needed break.
“We are building a good roster," Gleeson said.
"I gave the boys a cruisy bye week, which gave the injured players a chance to rest, and the boys are now itching to get into it this weekend.
“We need to win 70 per cent of our remaining games to make the top four.
"It’s a competition that everyone is capable of winning and some really good clubs will miss out on finals in 2020.
"We need to be putting the right squad together to get the win and we need to be consistent with results."
While they’ll be taking on a team boasting plenty of Intrust Super Cup experience, Gleeson is confident in the ability of his young side and believes these tough matches will the leave the club in good stead moving forward.
“We have got a young side and I pride myself on bringing young fellas through the grades at our club," Gleeson said.
"In the game against the Redbacks, we had seven under 20 and two under 18 players – as a club we want to invest in our younger players."
Runaway Bay will be hoping new signing Guy Hamilton can continue to impress having returned to the local Gold Coast competition this year, following in the footsteps of his father who won a grand final with the club 20 years ago.
Gleeson said the match should be a great contest and expects another good crowd to come and show their support on Sunday.
“There is a different feel at the grounds this year," Gleeson said.
"The crowds are good and the footy is really good.
"Everyone is certainly enjoying footy a little bit more after being without it for so long."
The match of the round kicks off at 3pm at Bycroft Oval and will be broadcast live on the Rugby League Gold Coast Facebook page.
Round 4 fixtures
Sunday, August 23
|12.50pm||Burleigh Bears v Tugun Seahawks||Pizzey Park, Burleigh|
|3pm||Currumbin Eagles v Ormeau Shearers||Galleon Way, Currumbin|
|3pm||Runaway Bay Seagulls v Southport Tigers||Bycroft Oval, Runaway Bay|
Round 4 teams
Burleigh Bears v Tugun Seahawks
1. Dallas Wells 2. William Evans 3. Shawn Anderson 4. Regan Ogle 5. Alofana Khan-Periera 6. Shallin Fuller 7. Cameron Brown 8. Tyler Szepanowski 9. Jordan Scott 10. Andrew Scougall 11. Reece Summer 16. Tristan Powell 13. Lochlyn Sheldon 14. Reece McKenzie-O’Brien 15. Bailey Court 18. Joshua Ailaomai 17. Ben Valeni
1. Corey Morris 2. Jack Smith 3. Fetuli Talanoa 4. Timothy Cassidy 5. Xavier Savage 6. Alexander Grant 7. Jacob Grant 8. Joshua Harvey 9. Samuel Mwskell 10. Andrew Bracek 11. Robert Apanui 12. Levi Norton 13. James Toole 14. William Johnstone 15. Solomon Torrens
Currumbin Eagles v Ormeau Shearers
1. Lachlan Smith 2. Joshua Walker 3. Jake Gleeson 4. Jakob Smith 5. Bayley Desmond 6. Talor Walters 7. Luke Jurd 8. Stuart Mason 9. William Ramsey 10. Pele Peletelese 12. Rory Lillis 13. Jarrod Gill 14. Cole Geyer 16. Harrison Wecker 17. Brayden Gallagher
1. Ono So'Oialo 2. Liam Hori-Clark 3. Haydyn O’Hara 4. Brogan Melrose 5. Jalen Tangiiti-Turner 6. Conner Toia 7. Craig Chapman 8. Jaymz Douglas-Webb 9. Albert Junior Ma Chong 10. Anthony Gray 11. Andrew Petaia 12. Sione Lopamaua 13. Coen Rankmore 14. Jay Melrose 15. Zane Prophet
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Southport Tigers
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. John Mackin 2. Queille Murray 3. Jamie Anderson 4. Jaylan To’o 5. Jake Powell 6. Guy Hamilton 7. James Poland 8. Sione Kupa 9. Jenan Weddrburn-Parish 10. Vinncent Takataka 11. Darcy Sims 12. Luke Burton 13. William Sameul 14. Mitchell Whitton 15. Joseva Latenacolo 17. Codey McLaughlin 19. Doryaan Hape Apiata 20. Harrison Muller
1. Kobi Annand 2. Curtis Dansey-Smaller 3. Ethan O’Neill 4. Lee Turner 5.Callum Burgess-Boomer 6. Liam Hampson 7. Jack Cook 8. Jarrod Morfett 9. Blake Scott 10. Benjamin Thomas 11. Lamar Manuel-Liolevave 12. Jaleel Seve Derbas 13. Brock Hamill 14. Harley Wood 15. Daniel Shannon 17. Campbell Pirihi 19. Nathan Young