You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Giants overpower relentless Tigers

Eagleby’s two-try heroes Talanoa Talanoa and Daniel Watkins were the straw that broke the camel’s back in the Giants' gutsy 34-20 win over last-placed Carina Tigers in the InTech Division 2 Men’s Southside competition last Saturday.

Superbly led by Talanoa and halfback Watkins, the Giants had to fight hard to secure the two points, after a late rally by the Tigers threatened to overcome the visitors at Leo Williams Oval.

The Giants got off to a flyer courtesy of Talanoa, who crashed his way over in the second minute of play, after being fed a brilliant pass from busy hooker Darrell Takiaho.

Carina - who were giving away a flurry of silly penalties early on - paid dearly in the seventh minute, when Watkins latched onto a cut-out pass from second rower Tekoi Purdue, who then raced in unopposed to make it 10-0.

Eagleby showed signs of what was to come in the 23rd minute when Talanoa fired out a pinpoint pass to replacement Cuba-Bay Tahiti, who then bulldozed his way over to score.

Played in warm conditions with the midday kick-off, Carina’s big men found some additional petrol in the tank and secured some good field position.

On the back of this, rangy fullback Joel Ray was able to chip over the top of the Giants defence to find second rower Ryan Allport, who collected the ball and planted it right on the try-line.

The Tigers then found an extra spring in their step after that and found themselves in striking distance of another try before the break.

However, some silly penalties crept into Eagleby’s game and they were left short with 12 men after the referee marched a Giants player to the sin bin for dissent.

Ben Bossons slotted an easy penalty goal to gift Carina two points right on the half-time hooter, but they still trailed the Giants 16-8 at the break.

The Tigers never gave up in their quest to take down Eagleby. Photo: Mike Simpson
The Tigers never gave up in their quest to take down Eagleby. Photo: Mike Simpson

It did not take long for the scoreboard attendant to change the numbers again though, when the Giants piled on another try in the 37th minute through Talanoa, who was proving to be a handle for the Tigers.

But the Tigers just would not surrender.

At 22-8 down and having endured an onslaught of four consecutive sets of defending their own line, Carina were on the board again this time through replacement Ken Selu, who stepped his way through to score a great solo try.

In the 60th minute, Giants lock Gabriel Taylor then broke clear of some lazy Tigers defence to plunge over under the sticks further increasing the scoreline.

But perhaps Eagleby saved their best try to last when Watkins shimmied and stepped his way to the line to score what was a fantastic solo effort.

A late consolation try to Carina’s hardworking prop Kyle Walker was well deserved; however, the home side simply ran out of time to snatch a late victory as the Giants held on for the win.

Eagleby are at home to the undefeated Browns Plains Bears at Bishop Street Park this weekend, whilst Carina look at getting off the bottom of the ladder as they face off against Souths Juniors at Brandon Park at 3pm.

It's the penultimate round of Rugby League Brisbane fixtures this weekend, with all teams fighting hard for a top four spot in the two-week finals series, beginning October 3.

Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners