You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Beerwah unleash dominance over Redlands

Even with the home ground advantage and a parochial crowd behind them, the Redlands Parakeets were unable to continue their fairytale run into the finals, going down to a rampaging Beerwah Bulldogs 34-8 in the InTech Men’s Division 1 decider at Pinklands Sportsground.

With the Bulldogs down to 11 men at one stage, Beerwah used their experience from playing in the powerful Sunshine Coast competition, to clinch what has been a gallant effort from the club all season.

Superbly led by co-captains Jamie Maliko and Jordan Meads, the Bulldogs kept the Parakeets scoreless in the second half, showing why they have been the danger side all year.

It was Redlands however, who after 23 minutes of play, drew first blood through Brandt King who smashed his way through the Bulldogs defence to score beside the sticks.

A mistake from the kick-off had Redlands on the back foot and after muscling up from three repeat sets of six, eventually caved in when Bulldogs fullback Aiden Young stepped his way to the try-line to level up the scores.

Halfback Meads set the tone for the Bulldogs' next try, showing-and-going before finding Stephen Buckley, who was too big and strong at close range to surge his way over the line.

An ugly melee right on the half-time hooter would dampen what had been a cracking game thus far and resulted in two Bulldogs players being sent to the sin bin for their part in the all-in brawl.

A penalty to Redlands had Parakeets sharpshooter Callum Rigney slotting the easiest of conversions to see the Bulldogs head into the sheds leading 12-8 at the break.

Despite being down to 11 men for the first 10 minutes of play, the second 40 belonged to Beerwah when the Bulldogs started what would be an avalanche of points, scoring in the 42nd minute through Buckley yet again.


WE DID IT!! Beerwah 34 Redlands 8 Beerwah Bulldogs are Premiers!!

Posted by Beerwah Bulldogs RLFC on Saturday, 10 October 2020

Redlands to their credit, continued to punish the Bulldogs in defence.

Jake Barwick, Matt O’Brien, and Brock Richardson were outstanding on a losing side and can hold their heads high playing a pivotal role.

Eventually, however, Redlands were unable to contain electrifying Bulldogs winger Delai Moto, whose scintillating pace saw him exploit the right edge and he streaked away to score yet another Bulldogs try.

Even being down 22 -8, Redlands did not wither.

Captain courageous Craig Matheson still barked the orders, trying to find some extra petrol in the tank from his side, but the Parakeets were quickly on the back foot yet again in defence.

Closing in on the Redlands line, Beerwah were chipping away at the Parakeets' brick wall.

Ultimately, the breakthrough came in the 59th minute when second-rower Matt Baker delivered a reverse pass and found hooker Taoho Kakae, who inflicted yet another Bulldogs try.

The final nail in the coffin for Redlands came in the 66th minute when Beerwah winger Brody Riseborough set free down the sideline, touching down in the corner to ice the cake for the Sunshine Coast-based club.

But in true Redlands fashion, they never gave up and in the last seconds of play, produced one last hurrah to score, however the ball rolled over the dead ball line to see Beerwah seal what was a truly remarkable performance.

In the Division 2 Northside grand final, Aspley proved too strong against Brighton, getting up 24-18; meanwhile, Souths Magpies celebrated a big 44-14 win over Carina after the Tigers upset minor premiers Browns Plains in last week's semi-finals.

Norths St. Joseph's claimed victory by a mere two points, 18-16, over Pine Central in the Division 3 competition north of the river, whilst Brothers St. Brendan's were too good in the Southside battle, defeating Redlands 34-4.