You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Redcliffe pip Devils in entertaining trial

Redcliffe Dolphins came out on top against a fresh-faced Norths Devils in an entertaining Intrust Super Cup trial match played at Bishop Park on Saturday night.

It was a good outing for the home side, despite the 32-28 loss, with a long-range try that included three kicks showcasing Norths Devils’ attacking best. 

Centre Tony Tumusa started the movement in the 33rd minute when he kicked ahead from deep within Devils’ territory for winger Jon Reuben to regather.

Reuben then kicked for five-eighth Harry Freebairn, who toed ahead for Reuben to catch and score a superb try.

There were other bright moments from both teams in a clash.

The match was spread across five 20-minute periods to enable the squads from both teams to receive game time.

“We played about 30 players in the end which was valuable at this stage of the season,” Devils coach Rohan Smith said.

“It was a good, hard game of footy.

"It was another step for us towards the start of the season and it gave us a chance to introduce some new players.”

Reece Walsh in action for Norths Devils. Photo: Norths Devils Media
Reece Walsh in action for Norths Devils. Photo: Norths Devils Media

Broncos Ethan Bullemor, Rhys Kennedy and Reece Walsh played for Norths via the clubs’ affiliate agreement while Brendan Frei, Calum Gahan and Leivaha Pulu turned out for the Devils for the first time during the pre-season.

The Dolphins included some players from their affiliation with the New Zealand Warriors, including former Devil Pride Petterson-Robati.

The Devils started the match well when Walsh threw a sharp cut-out pass for a try to winger Rashaun Denny in the left corner in the fifth minute.

The same pair combined 14 minutes later when Walsh kicked for Denny to score.

Denny’s third try came at the end of the third period, capping off a strong bust from Tumusa down the left-side of the field.

The sweeping 90-metre movement brought the Devils back to 16-20 with two periods of the match remaining.

The Devils trailed 20-32 going into the last 20 minutes, but closed the margin with centre Bernard Gregorius’ first try in a Norths jersey before he threw the final pass for winger Sam Fa’apito to score.

Rashaun Denny goes over for a try. Photo: Norths Devils Media
Rashaun Denny goes over for a try. Photo: Norths Devils Media

Earlier in the day, Norths won an Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup Under 18 trial 28-16 over the Dolphins, while Redcliffe won the Hastings Deering Colts Under 21 trial 32-8.

The Devils will complete their preparation for the Intrust Super Cup season when they play a trial against the Sunshine Coast Falcons at Tewantin next Saturday night.

The season begins on March 20 when the Devils play away against Brisbane Tigers.