You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Tweed Seagulls prove too strong for Dolphins

Tweed Seagulls overcame a poor recent record at the home of the Redcliffe Dolphins, claiming a 28-16 win at Moreton Daily Stadium in their Round 5 clash.

Redcliffe had previously won the past four games between the two sides at Redcliffe, but were upset by a committed Tweed side who are making a habit this season of breaking hoodoos.

It was a highly entertaining game of rugby league that took place following a special ANZAC ceremony which took place before the match.

Following a vigorous warm-up and a solid first set of defence, the Dolphins started in the best possible way for the home fans when Jeremy Hawkins crossed out wide to give his side an early lead.

But if you thought that worried the Seagulls think again, as they struck back in the ninth minute of play when Joseph Vuna crossed for the visitors following a Lindon McGrady 40/20.

After early points, both sides traded blows with a number of big hits exciting the crowd.

On the back of good field position and possession, it appeared it was only going to be a matter of when, not if, the Dolphins would score their next try.

However, whether it was a handling error or tenacious Tweed Heads defence, that try never came for the home side in the first half.

What did come was the try of match by fullback Jayden Campbell who fielded a bomb on his own line and cut a swathe through the Dolphins defence to go coast to coast and score a memorable try.

This was quickly followed in the shadows of halftime by a try to Ethan O’Neill which gave the visiting Seagulls an impressive18-4 lead at the break.

To get back into the game, the Dolphins had to be the first team to score in the second half and they did that when Jackson Frei crossed after seven minutes of play in the second half.

The teams traded tries in the next 15 minutes firstly thanks to McGrady for the Seagulls and then Brayden Dee for the Dolphins.

You could see that the longer the match went on, Tweed were gaining in confidence and that it was going to be their day.

Scrambling cover and an expansive passing game left the Dolphins searching for answers both in attack and defence.

Tweed finally put the game to bed in the 73rd minute when Herman Ese’ese stormed onto the ball near the Dolphins line to cross for the match-sealing try.

Seagulls coach Ben Woolf praised his sides defensive efforts and how they kept turning up for each other when under pressure from the Dolphins attack.

In a team of strong performers, Campbell, McGrady and Brent Woolf were standouts.

In Round 6, the Dolphins will host Townsville Blackhawks.

Tweed Seagulls will travel to North Ipswich Reserve to face Ipswich Jets.

Main image: Lee Turner with the ball for Tweed Seagulls. Photo: Dylan Parker Photography

Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners

View All Partners