It's one of the most anticipated events on the Intrust Super Cup calendar, this weekend sees the staging of the Queensland Rugby League’s annual Country Week round.
Seven regional and rural locations in Queensland are gearing up for a big weekend of rugby league and this year, the Activate! Queensland Country Week matches will see:
- Redcliffe Dolphins face Ipswich Jets at Quilpie’s John Waugh Park - home of the Quilpie Magpies
- Burleigh Bears taking on the Wynnum Manly Seagulls at Bulldog Park, Chinchilla - home of the Chinchilla Bulldogs
- Sunshine Coast Falcons meeting Tweed Seagulls at the Murgon Rugby League grounds - home of the Murgon Mustangs
- Northern Pride up against the PNG Hunters in Atherton’s junior rugby league grounds - home of the Atherton Roosters
- Souths Logan Magpies clashing with Townsville Blackhawks in Richmond’s Charlie Wehlow Oval - home of the Richmond Tigers
- Mackay Cutters mixing it with the Norths Devils at Hickey Oval in Dysart - home of the Dysart Bulls; and
- Brisbane Tigers going head-to-head against Central Queensland Capras Marley Brown Oval in Gladstone - home of Rugby League Gladstone.
For statewide competitions manager Dave Maiden, the initiative - which receives support and funding from the Queensland Government - was a great way for the game to give back to regional areas.
“I love Country Week, just for the sake we got out of the southeast corner, we get out of Brisbane, we get away from our comfort zone, we see how the game is played regionally and community-wise,” Maiden said when talking about the event.
As well as putting on a great display of Intrust Super Cup rugby league, all clubs will have representatives head out to their host venues before game day to join with game development staff to take part in various community activities including junior clinics, coaching courses and meet and greet events with players.
Below is a small snapshot of some of the school visits, clinics and other activities taking place at each venue.
Match: Falcons v Seagulls
Round 14 -
Venue: Murgon RL Grounds, Murgon
At Murgon, development staff will make school visits around the area to present health and wellbeing messages.
There will also be junior clinics take place, as well a South Burnett girls clinic.
On game-day eve at Murgon Showgrounds, there will be a cluster gala day in the morning, with the Sunshine Coast Falcons and Tweed Seagulls teams both holding open captain’s run training sessions at the venue in the afternoon.
Game day will see a huge feast of football, with junior games running the morning, followed by both under 18 and A Grade matches throughout the day.
Match: Bears v WM Seagulls
Round 14 -
Venue: Bulldog Park, Chinchilla
In Chinchilla, there will be some league touch galas, school engagement clinics as well as a referee education session and girls and junior playing clinics.
On game day, there will be both a Reserve Grade and A Grade match take place before and after the Intrust Super Cup game.
Match: Magpies v Blackhawks
Round 14 -
Venue: Charlie Wehlow Oval, Richmond
At Richmond, Souths Logan Magpies staff have already been in the area doing school activations.
In the lead up to game day, the Magpies will assist with some coaching courses and training clinics and will also host an open captain’s run training session and a meet and greet with players.
The Townsville Blackhawks will be arriving in Richmond by bus and will be stopping in Hughenden along the way to conduct a meet and greet and a clinic.
On game day, there will be a breakfast with match officials and Magpies players at the ground, while some junior league tag games will take place, as well as an under 17 and local senior match.
Match: Cutters v Devils
Round 14 -
Venue: Hickey Oval, Dysart
The Norths Devils are out at Dysart early to conduct some school clinics. They will also assist with a coaching course update and a referees course. They will also host an open session for their captain’s run.
Game day will see some clinics and a women’s game take place in the lead-up to the Devils v Mackay Cutters match, followed by the local Dysart Bulls taking on Emerald Brothers.
Match: Pride v Hunters
Round 14 -
Venue: Atherton JRL Grounds, Atherton
As well as some development clinics, school activations and coaching updates happening in the area in the lead-up to the Intrust Super Cup match, Atherton Junior Rugby League Ground will host a huge day of rugby league for game day. There will be a bonanza of junior rugby league matches played as well as a women’s match to round out a big day out.
Match: Dolphins v Jets
Round 14 -
Venue: John Waugh Park, Quilpie
At Quilpie, there are some school engagement activities, League Tag, girls clinics, referee education courses and coaches updates planned to take place in the area. There will also be an athletics day, and a meet and greet with both the Ipswich Jets and Redcliffe Dolphins on game-day eve.
On match day, junior stars of the game will play in the lead-up to the Intrust Super Cup match.
Match: Tigers v Capras
Round 14 -
Venue: Marley Brown Oval, Gladstone
As well as a number of school visits early in the week, Saturday will see a huge day of junior rugby league at Marley Brown Oval, with matches taking place from 8am to 2.45pm, with a senior A Grade and a Reserve Grade match closing out the evening. The Capras will also hold an open captain’s run session.
Sunday’s game day will see a female development clinic take place in the morning, with a Reserve Grade and A Grade match rounding out the day’s entertainment.
Country Week helps boost communities
Information for all venues
- Entry fees will be dictated by host venues
- COVID-19: Visitors and participants attending rugby league facilities statewide may be required to check-in via the Check-in QLD app pending the requirement of the lease holder and / or land-owner
If you can’t get out to a game, the broadcast details for this weekend are below:
- Sunshine Coast Falcons v Tweed Seagulls – Broadcast on Kayo Freebies
- Brisbane Tigers v Central Queensland Capras – via Kayo Freebies, 9Now, Intrust Super Cup app, com.au, Intrust Super Cup Facebook
Brisbane Tigers v CQ Capras