You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

The Wynnum Manly Seagulls relocated their Round 12 Hostplus Cup match to Ralph Stafford Park, Hervey Bay in an Indigenous recognition match.

The Fraser Coast Regional Council, Deadly Choices and Galangoor Duwalami Primary Healthcare all contributed significantly to the organisation of this match and helped to encourage a large crowd to attend.

Plenty of Falcons fans made the trip up north for Round 12, just a two-hour drive from their base in Kawana.

A Traditional Welcome to Country, dance and smoking ceremonies welcomed the players onto the field before kick-off.

In this highly-anticipated clash, the Seagulls started the better of the two teams, earning repeat sets before breaking through for a try via Zac Hosking in the seventh minute.

Strong carries from Darryn Schonig and Max Bailey inspired the Falcons, however, the Seagulls continued their momentum when TC Robati broke through to double their lead in the 17th minute. Seagulls led 10-0.

The Seagulls were in again seven minutes later through fullback David Mead, taking the score to 16-0.

Speedster Deine Mariner broke the Falcons defence on his own 10-metre line and ran 80 metres before being tackled, in a stunning effort that could have put the game to rest.

The Falcons steadied the game and resisted more Seagulls attacks, however two penalty goals to Max Plath in the final eight minutes of the first half extended the Seagulls' lead to 20-0 at the break.

The second half started with the same intensity as the first, however, the Falcons started to wrestle back control of the match.

Tom Rafter crossed for the visitors in the 50th minute and the Falcons lifted as a result. Seagulls 20, Falcons 6.

Tyran Wishart looked dangerous with each touch of the ball, often dummying and almost breaking the line. In the 63rd minute, he dummied again, fooling the Seagulls defence to score under the posts.

The Falcons were now only trailing 20-12 and, with all of the momentum, were confident in running down the Seagulls.

The final 17 minutes were filled with big hits, tough carries and torpedo bombs as both sides tried everything they could to break the other.

Neither defence waivered, and as time dwindled away, the Seagulls got closer to victory.

Yee-Huang Tonumaipea was sent off in the 76th minute to ultimately consolidate the result, and the Seagulls finished their Round 12 ‘home game’ with a well-fought 20-12 win over the second-placed Falcons.

Special mentions go to the Seagulls back five, who ran the ball strongly, defended well and were incredibly physical throughout the game.

For the Falcons, Tyran Wishart looked dangerous with each touch, the fleet-footed Sualauvi Faalogo had some nice runs, and Schonig was strong through the middle.

The Seagulls next travel to Norths Devils.

The Falcons head home to Sunshine Coast Stadium to host the Townsville Blackhawks.



Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners

View All Partners