You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Falcons fight back to claim late win against Blackhawks

Wet conditions at the Sunshine Coast saw a top eight clash as the Sunshine Coast Falcons hosted the Townsville Blackhawks for Round 13 of the Hostplus Cup. 

The first 20 minutes of their BMD Indigenous Round match was back and forth with both teams not giving anything anyway in defence. Each team had time in the opposition half, but were unable to capitalise. 

However, the Falcons scored three tries in the last 20 minutes to claim the game 28-18, with the win securing them second spot on the ladder.

The first try came in the 22nd minute as the Blackhawks found the overlap through their right-hand attack with winger Micheal Carroll going over nearly untouched. The try was converted and the Blackhawks went up 6-0. 

A line break from Falcons back Will Warbrick saw him run 60m before getting caught and the Blackhawks were penalised for holding Warbrick down too long, committing a professional foul which led to them playing with 12 men. 

The Falcons used this advantage to hit right back in the 29th minute and score through left centre Kane Jackson. However, the conversion was missed and the Blackhawks remained in the lead 6-4.

The gaps in the defence opened as the Falcons scored again in the 32nd minute with halfback playing prop Tyran Wishart finding a gap in the line running 50m and putting Luke Polselli over under the posts. The try was converted and the Falcons hit the lead 10-6. 

No other tries were scored and the score would remain the same at halftime. 

A costly error straight off the kickoff from Polselli after halftime saw the Blackhawks score in the 42nd minute. Carroll went over for his second of the afternoon and the try was converted to take the Blackhawks to a 12-10 lead. 

The tries kept coming for the Blackhawks, scoring in the 54th minute through a classy inside ball from Robert Lui. Interchange forward Zachary McMinn used his strength to crawl towards the line and the try was converted for the Blackhawks to lead 18-10. 

The Falcons were then able to use their heavy field possession to score in the 63rd minute as Polselli went over for his double. The try wascset up through a inside ball from five-eighth Cooper Johns and was converted with the score tightening to 18-16 with 15 minutes to go. 

A thundering bomb from Daniel Atkinson created enough time for pressure to be applied onto Carroll and Falcons winger Blake Wilson came up with a huge tackle to loosen the ball. Wilson picked it up to score the try in the 67th minute, and with the try being converted; the Falcons held a 22-18 lead with 10 minutes to go 

The Falcons were able to put the nail in the coffin when centre Young Tonumaipea burrowed his way from dummy half to score in the 76th minute and seal the game.

A late penalty on the buzzer saw the Falcons kick a penalty goal through Tyson Smoothy and finish the game 28-18.

Next week, the Falcons will clash against Central Queensland Capras.

The Blackhawks will look to bounce back next week against Souths Logan Magpies.


Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners