You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Round 10 Sunday wrap: Tigers return to winner's circle with Hope hat-trick

The Brisbane Tigers have avoided back-to-back losses, overcoming a fast-finishing Souths Logan Magpies to record their fourth win of the season.

Following last week's 62-16 loss at the hands of the Norths Devils, the Tigers were determined to get a win on Sunday on their home turf at Totally Workwear Stadium.

And in a high-scoring, hard-fought showdown with the Magpies, they managed to do just that, posting a 40-34 victory.

It was the Magpies who got on the board first, scoring two quick tries through Callum Eggerling and Israel Leota. 


Israel Leota flies high in the Round 10 Macca's replay, with the Souths Logan Magpies and Brisbane Tigers going head-to-head in today's broadcast match 🔥

Posted by Hostplus Cup on Saturday, May 18, 2024

But the Tigers were this week better prepared to turn around a fast start from their opposition, with hooker Tristan Hope leading the way to bag a first half hat-trick.

With Coby Williamson also crossing for the Tigers and Albert Kelly going over for the Magpies, the home side took a 22-18 lead into halftime.

The tries kept coming after the break, with the Tigers scoring three tries in a seven minute period to go up 38-18.

The Magpies responded with three of their own to threaten the Tigers at 38-34, but a late penalty goal converted by Hope sealed the deal.

Hope said after the match that he hadn't been happy with his own individual performances so far this year and knew he needed a big game in Round 10.

"I've been really disappointed with the way I've started the season," he said.

"Obviously I've been suspended as well so just trying to get some consistency and stay on the park, at the moment.

"It's my job as the hooker to lead the team around and I really think I've taken a big step forward today with my performance. I'm really pleased."

The Tigers will next round head into a bye and Hope said the key moving forward from here will be to use the week off as a reset and return with a lot more consistency - not just for himself, but the team as a whole.

"We really had to bounce back," he said of Sunday's win.

"It's win for loss at the moment but to get the result today leading into the bye, it's a really valuable two points. We didn't make it easy on ourselves but to get a win in those kind of circumstances, it's really pleasing.

"We know that when it comes together, we're a threat in this competition. We just have to stay patient and it will come together.

"Hopefully we can keep the same kind of 17 together for the next few weeks and get some wins together and put ourselves in the position to win some footy games and back-to-back games."

The Tigers have been hit hard by injuries this year with first-choice halfback and Melbourne Storm affiliate Jonah Pezet ruled out last month with an ACL rupture before fellow playmaker Jack Miers went down last week with his own ACL injury.

The Storm have now assigned the Tigers young halfback Keagan Russell-Smith, who had previously been playing with North Sydney in the NSW Cup, and he made his club debut with a solid effort against the Magpies.

Radean Robinson. Photo: Sarah Teasdale/Brisbane Tigers
Radean Robinson. Photo: Sarah Teasdale/Brisbane Tigers

For Souths Logan, today's loss was their fourth of the season and it ended a three-game winning streak.

They will next turn their attention to the Northern Pride.

Elsewhere on Sunday, the Wynnum Manly Seagulls and Sunshine Coast Falcons engaged in a gritty battle at Stradbroke Island, with the Seagulls triumphing 30-22.

The back and forth nature of the clash started early on and continued right until the final hooter with Wynnum Manly winger Jonathon Reuben scoring two in the opening nine minutes.

Sunshine Coast responded through Young Tonumaipea and Harrison O'Toole, for a 12-10 scoreline to the Seagulls at the break.

Kalolo Saitaua then extended that lead immediately after halftime before O'Toole crossed for his second. Not one to be left behind, Tonumaipea also scored a second, giving the Falcons the lead for the first time at 22-18.

But the Seagulls were not going to be denied with fullback Matt Milson snatching the lead back in the 73rd minute before Saitaua nabbed a second four-pointer to finish the game.

For a wrap of Saturday's results, click here.

For replays of Round 10, subscribe to

Main image: Treigh Stewart in action for the Tigers. Photo: Sarah Teasdale/Brisbane Tigers

Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners

View All Partners