With one in five Australians suffering from a mental illness, we understand that mental health is prevalent in rugby league communities, and therefore the wellbeing and education team offer one-on-one support and referral services for individuals in need.
The wellbeing and education team research and develop programs based on the needs of individuals and clubs, working with mental health organisations such as Headspace, Lifeline, BeyondBlue, Kids Helpline and Standby for specialist referrals and guidance in developing related education and support programs.
Why is this important?
- On average, 2.5 players in every run-on rugby league team will experience depression
- Suicide leads male deaths in Australia in ages 15 to 44
- Men are three times more likely to kill themselves than women and suicide is the leading cause of death in men aged between 15 and 44
- In 2017, about 75 per cent of people who died by suicide were males and 25 per cent were females
- On average there are five male suicides per day in Australia; vilification and continual bullying are contributors to this
Find out more
LifeLine Phone: 13 11 14
BeyondBlue Phone: 1300 224 636
Kids Helpline Phone: 1800 551 800
Suicide Call Back Service Phone: 1300 659 467