You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
THE weather for Saturdays grand final spectacular was picture perfect.

With a number of lead games from Under 6 to Under 10 before the two main grand finals, everyone was having a great time in the sun.

Special thanks must go to all the officials for working through the day and backing up to do touch lines as well as refereeing the games.

All games got covered which meant the kids were playing like the big boys and they were having the time of their lives.

It was great to see the younger referees get there time to shine with the average age for the three line officials in the two main grand finals being 15 years old.

The Under 11 game between Fitzroys and Yeppoon Seagulls was expected to be a free flowing affair, but defence dominated the game and neither side was able to get a break.

It took to half way through the first half when Fitzroy centre Jake Howarth used his strength and speed to break through the Seagulls defence to score. It was converted by Harry Barham.

This would be the only points scored in the first with the Seagulls almost scoring later in the half, only to be held up over the line by very good Sharks defence.

The second half started at a frantic pace with Fitzroys throwing the ball around from the kick off, unfortunately for them the ball was intercepted by Seagulls centre Tevita Toloi to score under the posts and with his conversion tied the game at 6-6.

This gave the Yeppoon side some confidence and they started to attack. However, some very good line defence prevented them from scoring further points with Yeppoon five-eighth Luke Stenhouse stopped centimetres from the line.

Fitzroys looked for their big game players and front rower Aarre Hirsimaki stepped up with a 60m run, only to be brought down five metres from the line from the next play the ball.

Fullback Damian Russell broke through and scored, but the conversion was unsuccessful to produce a 10-6 score line.

Both teams threw themselves into the game, but the defence was too strong, and the game finished as a 10-6 win to Fitzroys.

Man of the Match for Sharks was five-eighth Larson Dale-Doyle and for the Seagulls it was front rower Bailey Querro.

The Under 12 game between Brothers Blue and Cap Coast Brothers finished the day and after the excitement of the Under 11 grand final; the fans werent sure how this game would pan out.

Both sides had plenty of attack in their games and the questions was how the defence of the teams would hold up under the heat of the day.

Cap Coasts start would have given their fans a fright, giving away a penalty from the kick off.

This gave the Rocky side good field position and they were able to convert that to points with second rower Chris Lee getting the first try of the game but the conversion was unsuccessful.

Cap Coast got themselves back in the contest, but again a mistake led to points and a good try to Tyreek Tatow gave Brothers out to an 8-0 lead.

Brothers confidence was growing and a determined run by Sonny Nancarrow gave the Rocky side a 12-0 lead, unfortunately goal kicking was letting them down with another missed conversion.

This looked to be the halftime score until Cap Coast lock Andrew Van Zanden broke through some tired defence and scored under the posts with the conversion successful by Austen Routley. The sides went to the break with a 12-6 score line.

The coaching staff of Cap Coast must have been scratching their heads after the restart from Rocky Brothers found touch.

From the scrum, Tatow scored his second try and with the conversion by Stuart Gabriel, Brothers Blue led 18-6.

This was the kick-start that Cap Coast needed and they started pressuring Brothers Blue defence.

A good try to number 9 Josh Close was converted by Fred Carey-Kreivens and then another try to centre Eamon OHanlon had Cap Coast back in the game down 18-16 with seven minutes remaining.

Cap Coast threw everything at Brothers Blue, but an error from the Coast mid-field gave Brothers the chance to hit back and it was their captain and centre Riley Clark who took control with a dashing 50m run to score. The conversion again was unsuccessful and Cap Coast still had a chance to tie this game up at 22-16.

The game was sealed for the Rocky Brothers team right on fulltime when Tatow ran 30m to score his third try of the game and give them a 26-16 victory.

Man of the match Brothers Blue was Tyreek Tatow and for Cap Coast 5/8 Fred Carey-Kreivins.

The Most Promising Player in Under 12 award went to Cap Coasts Austin Routley and the Shirley Markey Award for Best & Fairest Player was awarded to Tyreek Tatow.

A special thanks must go to the RDJRL Committee Paul Jensen, Trudy Baker and Jo Barrie for their work during the year and all the helpers from the different clubs that have been working with the committee to make the 2013 season a great success.

The season started in Rockhampton in early February with the international competition starting and finished on Saturday.

For most clubs, there will be a short break before they start pre-season training in the Under 13 to Under 18 age groups.

The RDJRL would like to thank their sponsors, Rockhampton Leagues Club and Rockhampton Senior Rugby League.

We would also like to thank our media supporters for promoting our competition during the year. We will see everyone again in 2014.
Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners