You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Burleigh battled a valiant Wynnum Manly side, as well as Mother Nature to take the FOGS Colts Challenge premiership an entertaining affair at Suncorp Stadium.

The Bears atoned for their loss in last season’s decider, scoring four tries to three in a 22-12 come-from-behind victory.

The game was played for a majority of time in torrential rain, which saw the start of the second half delayed.

Kyle Kalkhoven was named man on the match, playing a big role in a Bears’ pack that soundly outplayed their opposition.

Despite the conditions, both sides displayed intent to play expansive football in the opening periods.

It was the Seagulls who opened the scoring after five minutes when an overlap on the left allowed fullback Luke Moldini to score in the corner.

The Bears conceded possession 30m out from their line and the Seagulls quickly capitalised. The Seagulls extended their lead to eight points as Joshua Marshman swooped in on the loose ball for his side’s second try. 

The Seagulls stunned a strong crowd at Suncorp Stadium when Dale Madden scored Wynnum Manly’s third in the opening 15 minutes. 

Despite the Seagulls’ early dominance, three missed conversions from Marshman saw the Seagulls lead by just 12 points after 15 minutes.

The Bears were never going to surrender easily and quickly wrestled back momentum.

Their first set deep into Seagulls territory lacked conviction from Burleigh, however a terrific kick-chase managed to force a drop-out.

From the ensuing drop-out, the Bears had their first points of the grand final on the back of a pin-point kick from Daniel Schwass into the hands on Talor Walters, who scored under the posts.

The Bears took a hold of the match as the rain became heavier, scoring their second and levelling the scores shortly after. Rhys Duke managing to grasp an offload from Mitch Doring before parting the Seagulls’ defence.

Both sides began to take advantage of the conditions, pestering the respective fullbacks with bombs.

The tactic soon paid dividends for Burleigh. The Bears capitalised on a mistake from Modini to score their third try in the shadows of half-time.

In stark contrast to their opening period, both sides kept the ball close to the chest and errors began to creep into the game.

The Bears quickly gained ascendency as the Seagulls struggled to escape their own half.

The margin stretched to 10 points when Sam Swift scored the Bears fourth, 10 minutes after the break.

Despite the rain clearing, both sides struggled to create meaningful chances.

The Seagulls failed to threaten the Bears goal line for much of the second half, however displayed resolute defence to ensure the margin didn’t stretch beyond 10 points.

A missed penalty attempt from Daniel Schwass would have extended the Bears lead to 12 points. The kick was unsuccessful, however the Bears held on for a 10-point win.  


BURLEIGH BEARS 22 (Talor Walters, Rhys Duke, Sam Swift, Jenan Parrish tries; Sam Grant 3 goals) def WYNNUM MANLY SEAGULLS 12 (Luke Modini, Dale Madden, Keenan Palasia tries) at Suncorp Stadium

(Halftime: Burleigh 18-12).

Man of the Match: Kyle Kalkhoven (Burleigh Bears)

To watch video highlights, click here.
To see the photo gallery, click here.

Final Teams...

Wynnum Manly Seagulls: 1. Luke Modini 2. Jordan Clamp 3. Braydon Mitchell 4. Dale Madden 5. Anthony Stehbens 6. Brayden Josephs 7. Joshua Marshman 8. Rhys Melville (c) 11. Matthew Scott 10. Lachlan Barr 12. Jacob Tonge 17. Keenan Palasia 13. Cody McIntosh Interchange: 9. Will Hanley 14. Tamaira Raurimu-Carew 16. Sam Gee 20. Jaylan Mawer

Burleigh Bears: 1. Talor Walters 2. Mikael Wheeler 3. Rhys Duke 4. Dylan Pelo 5. Mitch Doring 6. Sam Grant 7. Daniel Schwass 8. Shem Vaoa 9. Jordan Scott 10. Harrison Hughes 11. Sam Swift 12. Maia Sands 13. Jack Cook (c) Interchange: 14. Jenan Parrish 15. Deacon Fletcher 17. Jackson Clarke 21. Kyle Kalkhoven