Referee rewarded for volunteering
Central Highlands and Central West Referees President Bruce Ryan was named the 2016 Volunteer of the Year by the QRL Referees Advisory Committee at the weekend.
Acknowledged for his tireless work with the men and women in pink around the Central Highlands and Central West regions, Bruce regularly spends his Saturdays during the season at Junior and Senior Rugby League fixtures to ensure the development of the region’s match officials continues.
An average Saturday for Ryan starts at 8am in the morning travelling to local junior fixtures to coach and develop the young and upcoming referees.
Once the juniors have concluded, his day is not finished as he is often found to be suiting up to referee one of the local A Grade matches that night, but typically in a different town.
Most weekends, Ryan travels more than 200-300km return to be involved as either a referee or referee coach.
Bruce Ryan - this year's QRL Referees Board Volunteer of the Year - in action officiating a game.
QRL Central Highlands Operations Manager Cameron Stallard said Ryan was a well deserving winner of the 2016 Volunteer of the Year and should be proud of his achievements.
“Without Bruce’s dedication, devotion and contribution to the Central Highlands and Central West Referees Association, Rugby League in these two areas would not be where it is today,” Stallard said.
“Match officials are an integral part of our game and Bruce’s selfless and tireless work with our junior and senior officials have ensured that not only have we been able to recruit and retain referees, but also develop the standard of officiating.
“Bruce should be very proud of his efforts and I’m sure we’d all agree that his dedication and commitment to Rugby League makes us proud to be part of the greatest game of all.”
Achievements in 2016
- Weekly CMO at Junior and Senior Central Highlands and Central West fixtures
- Weekly A Grade referee in the Central Highlands competition
- Assisted NRL Referee Development Staff at CH Referee update
- Assisted NRL Referee Development Staff at CH Referee Development Day
- Referee Coach at 2016 Steven Bell / Josh Hannay Under 10 Shield
- Referee Coach at the 2016 Capricornia Under 11 / Under 12 Primary School trials
- Referee Coach at the 2016 Central Highlands NRL Under 12 Development Cup